Computer won't turn on after installing new CPU cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpdruglord

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Hey everybody! I'm not the best writer but please bear with me, I really need help. So today I got a new CPU cooler, the cooler master hyper 212 evo. I went on youtube and searched up a tutorial on how to properly install the cooler and after 30 minutes, I finally installed it. I was so excited to hear the difference between the intel stock cooler and the hyper 212 evo, so I turned on my computer and... it wouldn't turn on. The CPU fan would spin for a split second and that's it. I thought that I didn't install the cooler properly, so I removed it and placed it back. It still would not work. I thought screw this, I need my computer tonight! So I replaced my hyper 212 evo and reinstalled the intel stock cooler, but the computer still wouldn't boot up. Now here I am, explaining what happened. Plz halp. Also if you need any additional info on my pc and my problem with it, I will give it.

My specs:

Intel core i5 4460
Asrock H97m pro 4 lga 1150
1x8 gb gskill ripjaws ram
corsair cx 600m
seagate barracuda 1 tb

Solution
Yes you can try and put the pins back in the place they are supposed to be, but you just gotta be careful, they are delicate and can break if you wiggle them too much. If you crushed a lot it would just be better to send the motherboard in for a new one in my opinion.

I've heard stories of some CPUs working still with a pin bent or broken off, but they can crash under load or something else.

RienNET

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Try adding the Intel stock cooler back onto your motherboard, if the computer boots, then the connection for the CPU fan is fine. In that case it's probably an issue with the 212 EVO, you should probably get a replacement from the distributor.

Lookin4Info

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Did you unplug the 8-pin CPU power when doing this, and forget to plug it back in afterward? I had forgot to plug in the CPU power once and all my fans would spin for one second or so then entirely stop. Also make sure to check the CPU power connector all the way at the power supply just in case that came loose if you have a semi-modular or modular power supply! If that's not the problem, unplug and plug it back in on both ends just for good measure.

Provided there's not something physically wrong with the hardware..

First make sure all your power connections, 24pin and 4/8pin connectors are in place.
Make sure the Intel cooler is properly plugged in and propperly seated.
Try resetting the bios to factory. Since it wasnt detecting the fan of the Evo, something might have gotten tripped up in a protection mode.

Now assuming this works, keep the Intel fan plugged in and go in to bios. The Evo has a very slow RPM when its at idle. Its not uncommon for this to register as too slow by the bios and it turns itself off as a safety measure. Look for an area in cooling, or temp monitoring area of your bios and see if it allows for a custom fan speed for the CPU cooler. If it does set it to the lowest limit, it'll probably be somewhere around 4-500 RPM. This should be enough to allow the computer to start with the Evo in place.

Lookin4Info

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Also if none of this works, try reseating the CPU or taking the CPU out and looking at the pins, I had a friend not too long ago crush the pins putting his processor in and this exact thing happened.

pimpdruglord

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I have tried that, but it still won't boot up. My power supply fan and CPU fan would spin for a split second and won't turn on :/ Possibly a faulty power supply or mobo?

pimpdruglord

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Hey thanks for contributing, but yes, I did fully plug in the 8-pin CPU power connector. My power supply is semi modular, and its CPU power cord is in nice and snug. I'm starting to think that I broke the mobo in the process of installing the hyper 212 evo, maybe this is possible?

pimpdruglord

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Thank you for contributing. I would love to go into bios, but the PC won't even boot up! The power supply fan and intel stock cooler will only spin for a split second, and this will go on forever. Also, my 8-pin CPU connector is completely fine, it is in where it belongs. I'm starting to think I broke the Mobo in the installation of the new cooler, I may have crushed the pins :/. I will check and will report back when I know the mobo does or does not have crushed pins.

pimpdruglord

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Yes, I'm starting to think I broke the mobo :( . If I did, can you possibly give me an idea on how to fix the board? If I crushed the pins, can I safely put them back where they belong? I'm starting to think that I should get a new mobo, or just send this one back in.

Lookin4Info

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Yes you can try and put the pins back in the place they are supposed to be, but you just gotta be careful, they are delicate and can break if you wiggle them too much. If you crushed a lot it would just be better to send the motherboard in for a new one in my opinion.

I've heard stories of some CPUs working still with a pin bent or broken off, but they can crash under load or something else.

Solution

pimpdruglord

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I just found a bent pin on my mobo, so I'm guessing that's the problem. Thanks for your feedback! I will RMA the mobo to the original manafacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.