Computer won't turn on after installing new SSD

RedTalonTPF

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I added a new SSD harddrive to an existing HDD (both on SATA), however, when trying to power up my computer there is a half second period where fans spin but then nothing.

So this would seem like the power supply does not have enough power to boot up but I would figure I have enough power especially for a SSD which does not take much (as far as I know)

Here is what I am running (without the new SSD)
- 850w Corsair PSU (modular connectors)
- 2 x Geforce GTX 560 Ti (in SLI)
- Non-Solid State Hard Drive
- Core i5 2500k CPU
- 2 x 4GB of Ram
- Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V

The SDD I am trying to add:
- Samsung 840 Evo

So obviously the Two GTX 560's draw some power but I don't think adding an SSD should bring me over 850W

Some other details which might matter
- The old hard Drive is powered through a 4 pin power cable
- The New SSD I hooked up through a separate SATA power cable
- I tried switching which port I plugged into on the PSU and the Mobo SATA port, still same issues.

I found the SATA power cable in a box of supplies I have I am not entirely sure where it came from (my current PSU or an older old). But a power cable is a power cable right? That should not cause problems.

puzzleddad

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
I've got what appears to be the same problem. Recently rebuilt desktop. Overdid the PSU for specs (same PSU as above). Runs great. Running on SSD and trying to add second SSD for son's Steam acct to get it off the primary SSD. When I plug in to power strip, computer won't turn on. Unplug, away it goes.... I'm going to try powering from a separate module rather than the strip. Other than that I'm not sure where to go next.

TRENDING THREADS