Computer wont turn On, Ethernet lights on

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhokiet

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I built this computer about a year ago and have had little to no issues with it.

However, today I come home to use it and.. nothing. I hadn't used it for the past 2 weeks and nothing of note has happened around it at all.

Previously, I had one situation where the computer would... kind of short cycle. It would begin to power up, fans would turn off, then shut off. It would get in a loop of trying to turn on and failing. I just left it and eventually it worked again.

However, today it doesnt even begin to turn on. I immediately thought there was an issue with the PSU but then noticed the ethernet LED is on. I've looked through similar threads but most of these are new builds where the user just didn't connect everything properly. Since I haven't so much as bumped my computer since it last turned on, I can't see how there could be any similar issues.

Thanks

Update: While researching this issue online it sparked my memory that I have actually had issues in the past. Sometimes when I came back to my computer I'd find that it was Shutdown or had been Restarted without my doing so.

Solution
I think it's a failing PSU. Since you have not changed anything on the system. I had a Corsair RM650 fail in 10 months, so even good and new PSU's can fail. I watched a demo on youtube with the PSU tester, and for $15.00 I'm getting one. I have read so many posts on here where the poster spends days and days trying to figure out if they have a bad power supply, and Amazon can deliver this tester in 2 days.

You could start unplugging everything from outside the system unit, and the cd-rom, and some fans, to reduce the load and see if it makes a difference on start up. There could be just enough nominal power to run the ethernet port lights but not the entire system load on start-up.

HDE 20+4 Pin LCD Power Supply Tester...

jmnorthern

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
I think it's a failing PSU. Since you have not changed anything on the system. I had a Corsair RM650 fail in 10 months, so even good and new PSU's can fail. I watched a demo on youtube with the PSU tester, and for $15.00 I'm getting one. I have read so many posts on here where the poster spends days and days trying to figure out if they have a bad power supply, and Amazon can deliver this tester in 2 days.

You could start unplugging everything from outside the system unit, and the cd-rom, and some fans, to reduce the load and see if it makes a difference on start up. There could be just enough nominal power to run the ethernet port lights but not the entire system load on start-up.

HDE 20+4 Pin LCD Power Supply Tester

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Supply-Tester-PCI-E/dp/B005UZHB6G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485925847&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=power+supply+tester&psc=1

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.