Computer Wont turn on even after new motherboard

Dec 9, 2014
Hi, I am a fairly new apprentice here who has built a computer about 8 months ago. The computer booted and everything was fine. It was a gaming rig with fairly expesive high grade parts. about 2 months ago, i started browsing the internet trying to study for my Physics exam when suddenly my computer shut off and started smelling like electric smoke. The computer wont turn on AT ALL. No lights no fan, nothin... My Brother and I concluded that the motherboard got fried cause the smell came directly from it. the Power supply was fine and ill explain in a bit why,. so we sent an RMA from Asus which took about a month and half. took a LONG time for a new MB to arrive. Finally came, and me and my brother switched the cpu and GPU and ram to the new motherboard (etc.). Then we plugged it in and pressed the power button and nothing happened,. The motherboard however did have a green standby button lit up so we knew that the MB was recieving power from the PSU but the thing wont power up. Could it be that something is interfering with the connection of the motherboard thats causing it to short? whenever i press the power button of the case the lights upstairs flicker. (this was normal cause the power supply is 750W and has done this before). however even after the lights flicker the PC wont turn on. Power is definetly reaching the motherboard but it wont turn on the fans or anything,. could the RAM be the culprit.? i tried using one stick and that still didnt work.

PC SPECS":
CPU: AMD fx 8350 8 core 4.0 GHz
GPU: SAPPHIRE r9 280x 3gb gddr5
MEMORY: Vulcan 16 GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz
CASE: Phantex Enthoo luxe
PSU: EVGA 850 W G2 Gold certified

hyper 212 evo

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

PS: the motherboard fried was the sabertooth. the brand new motherboard is the same model of sabertooth. (Same motherboard.) I havent tried breadboarding it yet, but just want an explaination ASAP.

PLEASE help me :D

Solution
I have seen 2 instances with a bad power supply in which the lights would flicker, the fan kind of start up then nothing. There was enough power to kind of start things up but nothing would actually turn on. Try to get a hold of another power supply to at least troubleshoot.

Geekasaurus2

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I have seen 2 instances with a bad power supply in which the lights would flicker, the fan kind of start up then nothing. There was enough power to kind of start things up but nothing would actually turn on. Try to get a hold of another power supply to at least troubleshoot.

Solution
Dec 9, 2014

Hey bro, thanks for the reply. When my PC was in its youth (when It was working like a charm) whenever I turn on the comp the lights would flicker for 1/4 of a sec and computer turns on just fine. The lights flickering shouldn't indicate that the power supply is messed up. This power supply is really high grade and I've never heard of it failing after 6 months of use. I'm pretty sure the problem is something else.

Geekasaurus2

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
It was weird, I had never seen that happen before and suddenly 2 people brought in 2 computers with the same problem in 2 months with the power supplies.
Since you smelled electronic burning I would hope it wasn't the CPU, but even if it was I think the computer would still start with another motherboard.

Dec 9, 2014

Hey man, I'm about to breadboard this motherboard to see if it powers up, I'll fill you in on it very soon
Thank you for replying

Dec 9, 2014

Ye, just bread boarded my motherboard and I figured out the culprit. You were right.

The reason why my first MOBO fried was cause my PSU voltage must've spiked too high for the board to handle and it fried. Thankfully the darn PSU didn't fry my new MOBO at least I don't think so.. I'm gonna buy a new PSU from best buy to see if it works. I'm in a state of disbelief that a PSU of such a high price coulda done that.

PSU Culprit: EVGA Supernova 850w G2
Very nice quiet silent killer hehe
Decent power supply., I musta got a defective one :(

Geekasaurus2

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
My guess is never underestimate the power of a crappy capacitor. I had two Samsung TV's one only 8 months old crap out because they used CHEAPO capacitors on an otherwise good product. I of course can't say for sure a capacitor was the problems but one bad part inside can ruin your whole day!

Dec 9, 2014
Update: I got a corsair 750M power supply and plugged it into my computer and the thing works. Is it ok to have both of my case doors opened. The only fans running are my cpu fan and my Video card fan. My case fans aren't working, but I'll figure that out no problem.