Question Computer won't turn on if I have the cpu power plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2020
Hello, so on Saturday I was using my computer just playing some valorant when it suddenly turned off. I just thought maybe I had nudged the power cable or something so I tried turning it back on and nothing happened and basically thought I'd narrowed it down to a power supply problem, so I ordered a new power supply that came today. Connected everything and nothing happened. I figured out that it would start up if I unplugged the cpu power plug. I have tried different graphics card different cpu but nothing. I looked at the capacitors on my MB and they all look fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jun 22, 2020
Yeah, it turns on without the cpu power plug in.

Ryzen 7 2700x
GTX 1050ti
8gb corsair 3000mhz
The psu is just a generic 500w one from amazon (im pretty sure theyre all the same)

What the OP likely means is when the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan port it will not boot; usually the opposite is the problem. If this is the case, I would check the pins in the port and the fan plug. If they look good, you might want to look for a new heatsink/fan and see if it fixes the problem.

Jun 22, 2020
What the OP likely means is when the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan port it will not boot; usually the opposite is the problem. If this is the case, I would check the pins in the port and the fan plug. If they look good, you might want to look for a new heatsink/fan and see if it fixes the problem.
I'm not talking about the cpu fan port, I mean the 4+4pin

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well normally a motherboard/cpu will require both the EPS and the Mains plugged in for function, but there's a few reasons why it fails if the EPS IS plugged in. Can be bent cpu pins, defective mobo, miswired psu, miswired EPS, motherboard short to case etc.

Jun 22, 2020
I have 'breadboarded' it and tried a different graphics card, cpu and psu and the same thing happens each time. Which leads me to believe that it may be the motherboard? I have had a good look at it and cant see any bad capacitors the motherboard is the a320 sh2 (i dont think i mentioned it before)

Okay, you said that it starts up when nothing is plugged into the CPU headers. Okay. As stated, those are 4+4 ( total of 8 pins. The is a Connector from the PSU that is 4+4 and CPU specific. There is an 8 pin Connector as well and you should NOT be using that. What they provide as far as current goes is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS