Computer won't turn on (no activity except solid green motherboard light), power supply seems to work

Jul 2, 2018
My computer won't turn on. At the start of this issue, when I pressed the power button, the LED lighting at the back would flash, and the fan would move a tiny amount, but it wouldn't turn on. It did the same when I released the power button. I had put the computer to sleep the night before (as usual), and it just wouldn't wake up the next day. It was showing the flashing sleep signal on the power button, indicating it was asleep and not off, but it still wouldn't wake. Here is a video of the LED and fan effect it was doing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/prgni6lixlyk4pk/TRIM_20180623_103057.mp4?dl=0 . The solid green motherboard light would be on when the power button was pressed during this time.

I tried holding down the power button, and I tried removing and replugging the external mains power, to no effect. After this, the computer was obviously off (no longer "sleeping"), but the same LED and fan behaviour persisted when the power button was pushed.

I then tried reseating all internal power supply cables (after power was disconnected obviously) - after this, there would be no activity at all when pressing the power button, except the green light on the motherboard.

I then did the paperclip power supply test (disconnected all power supply cables and stuck a paperclip into the green and black wires of the 24-pin connector), and to my surprise the power supply seemed to work. The fan and LED stayed on until I cut the power.

I then took out the computer's hard drive to back it up using a recently purchased enclosure, and it turns out that all files are safe and the drive is working normally.

What could be causing this issue, and how do I fix it?

Thank you.

stdragon

Admirable
That PSU test is misleading. It won't test for bad rails and amperage load.

If you can borrow another PSU to test, that would be the next place to validate.

Also, you might want to remove the AC mains from the PSU, press the power button (to drain residual power from capacitance), the reset your CMOS settings on the MB. Reconnect, and try again. If you're still having trouble, swap the PSU to be sure.

Jul 2, 2018

I don't have any spare PSU to test with, unfortunately. I tried resetting my CMOS settings (by removing and reinserting the battery); it didn't work.

TRENDING THREADS