Computer won't turn on, not even fans connected directly to PSU

GabeBB

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
Is it safe to assume it's probably the PSU then?

If it were the mobo or CPU, then the fans that are connected to the PSU would turn on, right?

There 3 fans in mobo, 3 in psu. None turn on. So it's like the system gets no electricity at all.

Thanks for any advice!

PS: I installed a second hdd today. Not sure if that could have caused problems. We had problems similar to this when I first built the computer though, then they went away. Someone tested the mobo and cpu last year and said they were fine.

Solution

Did you check the wire for the front power button? You could also try shorting the pins that are connected by the wire for the power button, which is essentially another way of 'pressing' the power button. If doing that works, then that means either the wire or the button is damaged...

GabeBB

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016

Thanks Shektron! will have to double check that as that would make sense, although I noticed that even when the computer is powered off the little led light in our mouse remains on (I thought that was weird, but I guess it's getting a tiny bit of electricity despite the computer being off). Tonight though, the mouse led is off so I dunno what to make of that :eek:

Actually, that might just mean that your PSU is still working. The motherboard gets power from the huge connector near the RAM, and even when the PC is turned off, there's still power in the motherboard, and that power can flow through the USB ports, hence reaching your mouse. The power button just tells the motherboard to power everything else up as well.

GabeBB

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
You mean when the mouse led is on that means the PSU is probably fine right? Yeah I thought that was a good sign when I saw it was still on. Now it's off though. Can't get it to turn on :( I just switched the PSU cable and connected the computer to the outlet again, and the mouse led flickered, then turned off. So I guess it might still be the PSU? I don't have another PSU but I guess I could ask around to see if anyone I know could help me test it.

Did you check the wire for the front power button? You could also try shorting the pins that are connected by the wire for the power button, which is essentially another way of 'pressing' the power button. If doing that works, then that means either the wire or the button is damaged.

And the mouse LED isn't a sure-shot indicator of the PSU working of course.

Solution

GabeBB

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
Thanks Shektron! Will see if I can borrrow a PSU to test with as I'm not experience enough to try the paperclip and other stuff. If it turns out to be the PSU I'll pick one up hopefully next week : )