Computer won't turn on. Power supply is okay. Is the motherboard bad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Televirtual

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
I had similar (not exactly same) but similar, and I solved this way:

MY COMPUTER WAS NOT TURN IT ON- AT ALL

- I took cables away (every cable) from the mobo
- After that -no cables connected except the 24 pin- I connected the power supply and turn it on and it turned on!
- I realize then that I have a short circuit problem-
- I put back each of the cables- one by one, and at same time turning on the PC to see where the problem was.
- When it was the time to connect one of the cables to the mobo I turn the PC on but it did not, so I realize that it was the problem- (one of the cables had short circuit)
- That small cable was the big problem, and was only a led cable -not so important for the PC to work-
- So I disconnected that cable and not used anymore- and my PC is fine now.

SO THE LESSON is: when you install cables in the MOBO I believe you have to be very careful- cause can cause a short circuit. And in order to diagnose properly you have to do it ONE BY ONE step.

Typh00n203

Honorable
May 15, 2013
On my new build my problem was my 600 watt power supply was not enough to power my new motherboard... Make sure your power supply is good enough.

Josif

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I have a similar issue but none of these results worked so far.. What happened was the breaker on the house popped and the computer shut off and when we reset the breaker the computer wouldn't turn on, so i took out the PSU and tested it and it turns out it was fried so i got another spare PSU i had from a older version of the same computer just has a little more amps but it will not start when i hook it up to my mobo.. i did a short to manually start it with everything but the mobo and it seems to turn on fine but as soon as i try starting up the computer it will not turn on.. Any help?

Anuj_singh

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hey Robinhoode,
After going through your problem i suggest disconnect the front panel pins,then again connect them except the power leds (both positive and negative) and the power switch pin (so i mean just connect HDD led and reset switch).
Now u wont be able to switch it through power on button but use a screwdriver and touch the 3rd and 4th pin i.e power switch pins (which should switch on the CPU )
Let me know if it helps

Lewisandclark

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Lewisandclark

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
This advice of removing all cables except the 24 pin on the MOBO helped us to see that ours was still functioning properly. Then when we added them back one by one we found a backwards four pin, corrected it and viola! Computer working. Thank you thank you....can't thank you enough.

GGO

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
hi guys i have very old computer magic station gv20 it has a old mb and old psu.i have used it for 3 years but no problem with my computer.
one day my computer won't turn on i remove the casing and try to troubleshoot the problem,Then i saw a green light in the mother board, that means
power is coming through the psu to mb but doesn't come to the power button.i looked the connection wire between mb and the power button
the wire was LOOSED.you only have to do is fix the wire tight thats all no need replace the psu or the mother board. sorry for bad English.

surge914

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I also have a similar problems as the OP. I checked some the pins on the PSU and got good readings for the 24 pin and the 8 pin needed for the mobo and the PCI ones that I'm using for the GPU. My problem is when I press the power button nothing happens. I plug in the power cable, flipped the switch on the psu to turn on and can see the green light on mobo turn on, press the power button on case and nothing. I took out all the parts to cleaned (problem occurred before I did this) thinking it's because it's dirty. Took out everything including the cpu. Put everything I needed to turn on (pretty much the power cables to mobo only the 24 pin and 8 pin) and nothing. Changed the cmos battery like someone here mentioned and nothing. I'm thinking my mobo is fried. When i unplugged the power cable to one of my SSD the part on top of the pins had broken off so you just see the pins. Maybe that fried the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.