Computer won't turn on sometimes

blargin10

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
So 4 years ago I built my computer and it's always had this problem of not being able to turn on somtines. When this happens, the computer turns on, then turns off a couple of seconds later, then turns back on with no usb devices or monitor running. I have to keep turning the computer on and off until usb deivices and monitor turns on. Any idea as to what is causing this bevahior/ what computer part could cause this to happen?

Solution
OK. Running out of ideas. Being it happened with different board eliminates that. At this point though, I think you would need other hardware to test with to figure out the culprit.
What power supply are you using? Startup issues can be caused by a faulty one, though strange the issue would be the same after all these years. Have you tried reseating the CPU, cooler assembly, RAM, GPU, cables, ect. in all this time to narrow down an intermittent connection. Tried removing GPU to see if it occurs using only onboard video?

blargin10

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

I believe the psu is CORSAIR CX600M Power Supply ‑ 80 PLUS Bronze ‑ 600W. I have reseated everything before when I got a new motherboard.

It should be ok for a basic system, but still low on the PSU Tier list for overall quality. Just wanted to be sure it's not an "off brand" situation. Do you have any kind of overclock going on for CPU or RAM? Has the BIOS been updated as new releases were made available?

blargin10

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

No overclocking, I will try updating the BIOS.

blargin10

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

I have tested the ram with memtest86 and it is ok. I doubt it is the motherboard causing the problem because this rig has had an older motherboard on it with the same problem.

incorrector

Proper
Apr 29, 2018
sounds like chipset problem but you have to clear the RAM contacts and mobo RAM pins to be sure.try to clear the RAM contacts using isopropanol alcohol and carefully clear the mobo RAM pins using isopropanol and a a small brush.let it dry

blargin10

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

XMP is disabled in the BIOS and I believe the ram is set to stock ddr3.