[SOLVED] Computer won't turn on when GPU is plugged in

Rosenweiss

Honorable
Jul 22, 2014
I've been building a new PC after my previous one shorted out and, from what I could tell, damaged the motherboard and/or the processor. As neither would turn on, I was unable to check if any of the other parts were damaged, but they didn't seem to have sustained any damage at first (the psu plugin to the cpu smelled strongly of burning plastic while nothing else did).

Anyways, in my new build, I have encountered a different problem - if I have my GPU slid in while attempting to boot, the computer will refuse to power on at all. The GPU flickers quickly, with the white LEDs in the logo lighting up for a split second, but nothing else occurs. Subsequent presses of the power button do nothing until I have turned off the PSU entirely. Upon turning it back on, pressing the power button will then cause the flicker again, and so on.

The computer will boot fine if the GPU is removed - all lights pop up, the fans begin spinning, etc - but I am unable to check what happens on the screen as my new processor lacks any internal graphics.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Prime b450-plus
GPU: GTX 980 Ti
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ

I have re-plugged in all PSU wires, I have attempted booting with one stick of RAM, I have removed the BIOS battery for 5 minutes before re-inserting and attempting to boot, but the same thing happens regardless so long as the GPU is slotted in. I have slotted the GPU in both PCI-E slots and ensured that they were properly secured, as well, but neither seems to make a difference.

Is it likely that my graphics card is simply dead from the previous shortage, or is there another possible issue which I am not seeing?

Rosenweiss

Honorable
Jul 22, 2014
Not sure if this changes anything, but I did notice that one of the lights on my keyboard (I think the numlock indicator) flickers at the exact same time the lights on the GPU do.

Jan 18, 2020
For anyone else who stumbles upon this thread: I tested it with a new GPU that I knew worked and it booted up fine. It was definitely a GPU issue.

Did you test that GPU in another system? I was having similar symptoms, however my card worked perfectly fine in another system and I think it is a motherboard issue.... I wonder if there is any compatibility issues with B450 mobo + Ryzen 2600 cpu not working with high-end graphics cards?? I also have a 2600+B450 combo.