Computer won't turn on with USB ports in use

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I just got a new mobo (ASRock Socket AM3+/AMD 760G/DDR3/SATA3&USB3.0/A&V&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard 960GM/U3S3 FX). When I reinstalled windows, the only USB plugged in was my keyboard and mouse wireless receiver and everything seemed fine. Today when I plugged the rest (USB hub, game controller, printer) and tried to turn on the computer, nothing would turn on. It acted like the PC wasn't even plugged in. Once I unplugged the USB items, it started up perfectly. It even let me plug everything in after it was on. Everything worked fine, but it still won't let me turn the computer on with everything plugged in. My PSU is CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W, but I never had any problems like this with my old mobo. Is my motherboard faulty???

Thanks!

Solution
diagnose what thing is causing it. if you plug 3 things in and it does it and unplug 3 things and it doesn't, it has to be one of those 3 things and the logical thing to do is to try each one, one by one to see what it is.

I would possibly the hub maybe got a bent pin from something being plugged into it and the motherboard detects the short and won't power on. Common problem on XBox 360's and PS3's and kids plug the controller in backwards, bent the pins the unit, it won't turn on as it protects itself.
diagnose what thing is causing it. if you plug 3 things in and it does it and unplug 3 things and it doesn't, it has to be one of those 3 things and the logical thing to do is to try each one, one by one to see what it is.

I would possibly the hub maybe got a bent pin from something being plugged into it and the motherboard detects the short and won't power on. Common problem on XBox 360's and PS3's and kids plug the controller in backwards, bent the pins the unit, it won't turn on as it protects itself.

Solution