Computer won't turn on with video card plugged in. (Not new card)

Mar 7, 2018
I was on my PC this morning and it just shut off. I built the PC over a year ago and have had no problems up to this point. I first thought it was the PSU, but the paper clip test turned on the fans. I uninstalled everything and bit by bit started adding parts back. It turned on every time until I got to my GPU. When I plug it in to the motherboard, I can still power up the computer, but as soon as I run the PCIE cable from the PSU to the GPU, nothing happens. No lights, no fans, nothing. I assume that its the GPU is shot, but I was wondering could it be that the PSU is going bad and just cant supply enough power with the GPU properly hooked up.

I know there are a lot of these questions, but everyone else seems to be having issues with new video cards, not pre-existing ones. For reference I have an EVGA 1070.

It sounds like your PSU detects short (either in GPU itself or in PCIe cables) and refuses to start up. If your PSU has more PCIe cables, test another set of cables first (and if it is modular, plug them to next slot on PSU too). If that will not help then most likely short is in GPU.

Mar 7, 2018

I have tried to use several different sets of cables to no avail. I have also tried using them in different VGA ports on the power supply as well (it is modular).

Exactly what PSU do you have (make, model, wattage, etc.)?

Mar 7, 2018

EVGA 750 Supernova G2