[SOLVED] Computer won't turn on

OhSoCheesy

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
Had a Z370 Taichi board with i7-9700k that suddenly wouldn't turn on at all. Upgraded the motherboard to Z390 Taichi Ultimate. Same problem. Upgraded the power supply from Corsair RM750 to RM850x. Same Problem. Upgraded the CPU from i7-8700k to i7-9700K. Same problem. Dr. Debug flashes "00", which the books says means the CPU is not installed correctly. The CPU is in the correct (only possible) way with the triangle as the book shows and the notches lined up. I've cleared BIOS 10x. Same problem. I'm at a loss as to why the board is flashing "00" and there are no fans turning on. Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: I left it on its side and wrote the original post. I looked down a little later and lights were on. I pressed the power button and the fans etc came on. I unplugged it and put the video card etc back in. Then it was dead again. I left it again and the lights came back on. I turned it on and the fans are on, but there's nothing on the screen. I tried plugging it into the onboard HDMI port, but still a black screen. I'm still clueless. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
The DR. Debug still shows "00", which the book says to check to make sure the CPU is put in correctly, which it is. It then says to clear the BIOS, which I've done 30+ times.

Well the sound card and PCI cards are probably the least of your problems right now. I'd start with checking the RAM modules because to me it sounds like you could have a dead memory module. The only way to make certain is to test each module in each slot on your motherboard.

The only other possibility from there is that something could have got bent / broken when you reseated your CPU. If you do take the CPU out of the socket, check the motherboard for bent pins.

OhSoCheesy

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
What's your full system configuration? And include the full make and model of your PSU, let's start there.
Sorry I thought the main components were clear. I showed the upgrade path so you could see all of the items that were changed with new parts. Below is what I ended up with. Thanks for your help!

The P/S was a Corsair RM750 upgraded to the Corsair RM850x.
CPU- i7-9700k
Corsair H100i Water Cooler
M.2 Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
3xSSD drives
6xHDD all unplugged for diagnoses
nVidia 1070
Sound Blaster Sound Card (if you need the exact model, I'll pull it out.)

The DR. Debug still shows "00", which the book says to check to make sure the CPU is put in correctly, which it is. It then says to clear the BIOS, which I've done 30+ times.

g-unit1111

Titan

Well the sound card and PCI cards are probably the least of your problems right now. I'd start with checking the RAM modules because to me it sounds like you could have a dead memory module. The only way to make certain is to test each module in each slot on your motherboard.

The only other possibility from there is that something could have got bent / broken when you reseated your CPU. If you do take the CPU out of the socket, check the motherboard for bent pins.

Solution

OhSoCheesy

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020

Thanks. So I took both the sound and video card out and plugged into onboard video card. I tried each stick of RAM in all four slots. No Joy. I'll check the CPU because that continues to be what the DR. Debug says. Personally, I've been building PC's since there was such a thing. I've never had a CPU die. Maybe I've been lucky. Lots of mobo's have died. But to think neither the old 8700k or the new 9700k would work seems far out to me. BTW, I have a good UPS so I know it wasn't a power surge .

Believe it or not, I send a message to Asrock's support right before I posted this and just received a reply. Usually Mobo companies take at least a day or two to respond. He said return it to the vendor for a replacement. That sucks because I got it from newegg, so return shipping is on me. Not to mention the time to get another one means I'll be out of a PC another weekend. I appreciate your help!

OhSoCheesy

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020

You were right! There was a bent CPU pin on the board. I had to go buy a magnifying glass to see it, but it was there. Thank you so much for your help! I was going nuts. Have a great weekend.