Question Computer won't turn or post

snowboardpunk

Reputable
Mar 29, 2017
I was using my desktop and it randomly shut off (just some light gaming/hulu) and it won't turn back on. I turned off the surge protector and turned it back on, tried turning on my computer but there's no post. Was this weird click sound that happens when I turn on my computer normally but then nothing else. No fans or lights turn on anywhere. If I try to turn it back on again after the attempt, I don't even get that click sound until I restart the surge protector.

So I started doing some research and thought it was the psu. I switched my psu with my friends, same cables just different models and still nothing. I did do the paperclip test and the fan did start spinning but it stopped spinning after a couple seconds. Is this normal? I'm thinking its not the PSU because it did get some power.

So I'm wondering what my next steps would be to figure out why my computer won't turn on. Now I'm thinking its the motherboard but is it normal for any of my components to light up? Could it also be the PSU cables? I did buy them off aliepxress for pretty cheap. I think it was like 40 dollars for a set.

My parts are -
Ryzen 3900x
EVGA 980ti
Gigabyte B550I Aorus pro
Ballistix 32gb Ram
and a few noctua fans.

snowboardpunk

Reputable
Mar 29, 2017
Hi snowboardpunk.

Can't use any PSU cables. The cables that comes with your PSU or replacement cables compatible with your PSU model and it needs to be specified in the cables info.
Yup I know

I was using Corsair SF600 and my friends PSU is the Corsair RM750. They use the same type 4 cables from corsair.