[SOLVED] Computer won't wake up from sleep new PSU

Devil304

Prominent
Mar 31, 2021
Few days ago I changed my PSU from SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W (local brand in my country which is making mid tier hardware) to Gigabyte UD850GM. In most of cases new PSU is stable and work fine, but when I put my PC to sleep it won't wake up.
When i press power button it still is blinking, drive LED is on (not blinking) and on my MB CPU error led is lit up. I can't even restart computer by any other way then shutting down PSU. I tried to restart BIOS/Clear CMOS with no luck. Everything was working fine on my old PSU.

Solution
Things to try:
* from BIOS, disable CPU C6 and C7 sleep states. Since what it looks like, is that for some reason, that Gigabyte PSU isn't compatible with higher sleep states and is incapable of waking up PC.

Also, it's strange that modern PSU would have such an issue. :unsure: Now, 13 year old PSUs, may or may not support higher sleep states, since back then, the compatibility was just rolling out. E.g my trusty Seasonic S12II-520 (released in 2009), does not officially support higher sleep states, but after testing, my unit did support all CPU sleep states, including C8.

* disable Win fast boot:
  1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type in Power Options, and then press Enter .
  2. From the left menu, select Choose what...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Things to try:
* from BIOS, disable CPU C6 and C7 sleep states. Since what it looks like, is that for some reason, that Gigabyte PSU isn't compatible with higher sleep states and is incapable of waking up PC.

Also, it's strange that modern PSU would have such an issue. :unsure: Now, 13 year old PSUs, may or may not support higher sleep states, since back then, the compatibility was just rolling out. E.g my trusty Seasonic S12II-520 (released in 2009), does not officially support higher sleep states, but after testing, my unit did support all CPU sleep states, including C8.

* disable Win fast boot:
  1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type in Power Options, and then press Enter .
  2. From the left menu, select Choose what the power buttons do.
  3. Under the Shutdown settings section, uncheck the box next to Turn on fast startup (recommended).
  4. Click the Save changes button.
* disable Win hibernation:
  1. Click the magnifying glass icon in the bottom-left corner of your screen. ...
  2. Then type Command Prompt into the search bar.
  3. Next, click Run as administrator.
  4. Then type powercfg.exe /hibernate off into the Command Prompt.
  5. Finally, hit Enter on your keyboard.
One of these, or all combined, usually fixes the issue you're having.

Solution

Devil304

Prominent
Mar 31, 2021
Things to try:

* disable Win fast boot:

Thank you, I will try that. I already have disabled hibernation, so that's not it.

Devil304

Prominent
Mar 31, 2021
Things to try:

* disable Win fast boot:

I tried everything you suggested with no luck. I have X570a-pro MSI MB and can't disable any power states (or at least can't find options like that).

Devil304

Prominent
Mar 31, 2021
Holy bible of PCs; page 50 "Power Management Setup" and page 51 "Wake Up Event Setup".

E.g "Resume by USB Device" which by default is "Disabled". Might want to "Enable" that.
In Power Management Setup i have only 3 options and none of them are interesting in this matter (maybe ErP which I have disabled).
I tried with Resume by USB Device, same result as before.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Then it comes down to PSU, which is incapable of operating normally.

Gigabyte isn't the best brand to buy PSUs from. Their another new PSU line (GP-P750GM and GP-P850GB) are so terrible, that those PSUs blow up, reliably.

GamersNexus:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

If waking up PC from sleep is important to you (e.g i, personally, rarely put my PC to sleep), i suggest that you get yourself another PSU, from more reputable brand. E.g Seasonic Focus+ or PRIME series. Or Corsair RMi, RMx, HX, HXi, AX or AXi series.
(All three of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

I have ever only purchased two Gigabyte products: mouse and PC case, and after using both from some time, i won't going to buy anything else from Gigabyte due to the poor quality products the make.

Devil304

Prominent
Mar 31, 2021
Hello, did you find any solutions ?

I have the same problem on my new PC build, although with another PSU, Be Quiet System Power 9.
Yes, I changed PSU.
Now I have Modecom Vulcano 850W
You can try and send your PSU for RMA but I recommend borrow know good PSU from someone and check if it's PSU or Motherboard issue.