[SOLVED] Computer won't work/crashes when Graphics Card is Installed

Anston06

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
I wanted a graphics card to play games so I bought one. I installed it and a new power supply and everything worked fine for a while. Eventually I had an issue where the computer would boot up and sometimes restart. It got worse and worse and got to the point where I couldn't use my computer. It would say prepairing automatic repair. I reinstalled Windows with the graphics card still in there.

Near the end of the installation, it said something like, "Windows encountered and error and needs to restart". It would loop, so I found a solution of editing a registry key. But I had another problem after that which was that while I went throught the last steps of the install, it would stop and show a blue screen that said, "could not find BCD". I took the graphics card out and everything worked fine. I wonder if my power supply doesn't have enough wattage?

Specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580
CPU: AMD A8 5500
PSU: Rosewill 450 Watt

Solution
Most Rosewill PSUs are poor quality, on top of which it's only 450w --- not enough for an RX 580.

Now is not the ideal time to be in the market for a new PSU but that's almost certainly what you need.

A quality 650w unit from Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA should do the trick.