Computer wont work with 2 identical ram sticks.

TipeHH

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
hello. so i have this problem that when i built my computer (like 8 months ago) i bought only 1 stick 8gb 1333mhz ram and now i bought another wich is identical as the first one. The problem is that they wont work together, first my pc started and worked normally like 1 minute then i tried to restart and my computer is on like 10 - 20 secs and restarts. it doesnt give any signal to moniter,keyboard or mouse. I tried using only old stick and it worked perfectly, then i tried to use only new stick and got that problem again. after using only new stick i tried again both of them and it worked normally like 1 minute again then my mouse and keyboard froze again. Thank you already for helping and sorry for bad english and explaining

Mobo: gigabyte h81m-hd3
Both ram sticks: g.skill ripjawsx 8gb 1333mhz

barto

Expert
Ambassador
Buying the same sticks at different times doesn't make then identical. It's recommended to buy RAM in sets (pairs, tri's or quads) because they are tested and certified to work with each other. Separate sticks are not thus problems can happen. It can also be the motherboard. The more memory sticks you have the more load you place on the memory controller. Sometimes increasing the voltage on the controller can help thus allowing you to use more sticks.