Question computer worked fine before....unplugged while shut down and now it won't boot, stuck on CPU error. HELP!

Feb 2, 2020
Story is as follows....

My PC was plugged into a wall socket and was never forcibly shut down. However, when I unplugged it to plug something else in, and later plugged it back in, it does not boot and is stuck on CPU error light! It was in sleep (hibernation mode).

I can't wrap my head around how this might be possible...because you should be able to unplug a PC that's in hibernation mode, right?

It also had this problem a few weeks back, I fixed by swapping to stock cooler and replacing PSU, if that's of any significant.

Specs:
R5 3600 (oc to 4.1ghz)
Cooler Master ML240LRGB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 (8x2)
MSI B450 Tomahawk
MSI RTX 2060 Ventus XS OC
Corsair RM550X

Ralston18

Titan
MSI recommends a 500 watt PSU for that GPU.

My thought is that, overall, the PSU is underpowered/insufficient for your PC's requirements.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or have a family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test per se as the PSU is not underload. However, any voltages near or out of spec may be an indication of a PSU problem.

Feb 1, 2020
This might sound stupid but did you plug the power cable into the wall first? If so, try plug it into the PSU and then the wall. This worked for me when I built my first PC recently.

Feb 2, 2020
sorry, it's been a few days....schoolwork...
anyway, here's what I tried/found:
  1. no bent pins on the CPU
  2. plugging into the PSU first then the wall did not work either
  3. trying to start-up produces a red CPU ERROR light on the mobo
  4. I tried unplugging the GPU from the mobo and power supply to see if that would get some strain off the power supply?? but that still produces a CPU error...

if not the power supply, even with GPU load off of it, what else would you guys think is at fault?

Thanks,
MC