[SOLVED] Computer worked fine yesterday. Won't boot to POST today.

Aug 26, 2020
So recently got a new case for better airflow. Put everything in the new case yesterday and it worked fine no problems whatsoever, shut down the computer for the night and wake up to press the power button... And nothing. Fans don't spin. Nothing on display no lights come on. So I checked without gpu, unplugged all fans, checked connectors on motherboard, reseated motherboard. I have an ethernet cable which still lights up on the back so the motherboard can't be dead right? I also tried shorting the power button pins and still nothing. Anything else I can troubleshoot or ideas what could be causing this?
Specs:
Processor:Intel i7-7700 age unknown
Motherboard: GD30CI age unknown
GPU EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Super XC 8G Ultra about half a year old
PSU: EVGA 650W model 100-N1-0650-L1 about half a year old
Case: Cooler Master H500P mesh

Last edited:
Solution
Any way I can test if it's the motherboard or cpu?
Not really, unfortunately (unless you happens to have a spare CPU that is compatible with your motherboard or vice-verca).

But I'll say unless you have separated the CPU from the motherboard in the process, it's most likely the motherboard that is failing.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

New case: make and model?

Unplug and use a bright flashlight to inspect the interior of the new case and all components and connections.

My thought is that something was not quite fully in place and has come loose just enough to appear fully connected but is not. Perhaps because of expansion/contraction.

Check everything - first visually and then by feel.

Aug 26, 2020
Sorry, had to go to work. I have an old power supply that I can confirm works. Will try that old psu when I get home and add specs. New PSU I have in my PC currently isn't that old and I got it with my 2080 super about half a year ago. My motherboard age I dunno since when I got my PC serviced about a year ago they replaced it with my cpu. But I did notice some bent case fan pins and dust on my motherboard

Aug 26, 2020
Just tested the old PSU on my computer and still absolutely nothing, so I can rule out the PSU being the problem. Any way I can test if it's the motherboard or cpu? There's a light that comes on at the back of the motherboard for ethernet when I switch on my power supply and for some reason after a few minutes my mouse pad will light up. I didn't take out my CPU when switching my case, double checked wiring and still don't see any issues.

Aug 26, 2020
I dunno what happend but I breadborded my motherboard just in case it was my case shorting the back of the motherboard and still nothing. Just bought a new motherboard and cpu since my cpu was gonna need an upgrade kinda soon anyways. Thanks for the help. I've still got no clue how shutting down my computer fries the motherboard. It was working completely fine no issues.

TRENDING THREADS