Computer works with 2 Ram sticks it freezes with 4

crash2424

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
so I just bought 1 pair of 512mb of ram but when I put them my computer with the old ram it freezes. i check each of them separately with memtest86 and got no error. but when I put all four of them it freezes in test #5 ( block move). so what is wrong?

do i have to change the voltage or things like that?

sony vaio pemtium 4 CPU 3.40Ghz, 1.00 Gb og RAM .

fatsauce

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
the ram is probably fine as for as your memtest goes. Well theres alot you could have done wrong. Is the ram compitable with your computer. What type of ram was is your computer, what type of ram did you buy? Mixing old ram with new ram is not rocommended. Is your memory dual channel?

crash2424

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
yes the ram is compatible with my computer. it works fine when I put them in the computer and take the old one out. or if I put the old ones alone they work fine too.
the old ram that are a pair of Samsung pc3200 512mb and the new pair is pnypc3200 512mb. yes my memory is dual channel. when I put 3 sticks it fezzes too.

fatsauce

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I take it to as well that your computer can take 2gb of ram? A possibilty is that mixing the different samsung and pny could be the problem. When dealing with dual channel memory i dont recommend mixing different manufacture sticks of ram. the dual channel itself wont work properly as 2 memory buses, it will work better with same manufacture. Even though its the correct ram pc3200 i still can cuase a problem believe it or not. It a funny issue, i know, but if you google mixing manufature ram, most people will tell you not to do it.

Actually, mixing RAM is ok to do, if you do it right. Overall, I'd back up fatsauce on his statement that most people will tell you not to mix RAM, as it causes lots of frustration.

Back to mixing RAM. When you mix RAM you will:

Have all density (size), barring any defect
Operate at the highest latency of the mixture
have to operate the mixture at the highest recommended voltage of the mixture
have to check with the RAM manufacturer(s) to be certain their RAM can operate safely at the higher voltage (this applies to the lower voltage RAM)

For example: 1 x GB @ 1.7v w/ 5-5-5-15 & 1 x 1GB @ 2.2v w/ 7-7-7-18
In the above configuration, you will have to make sure that the module rated for 1.5v can safely operate at 2.2v, because the module rated at 2.2v will work best (in some cases not at all) at 2.2v. Furthermore, because the higher voltage module has a higher latency, you will have to set these timings in your BIOS, which means the 1.5v module is running slower than its potential.

Rules to Enable Dual Channel Mode
To achieve Dual Channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
Same Density (128MB, 256MB, 512MB, etc.)
Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels
OR

Populate symmetrical memory slots (Slot 0 or Slot 1)
Configurations that do not match the above conditions will revert to Single Channel mode.

The following conditions do not need to be met:
Same brand
Same timing specifications
Same DDR speed
Memory channel speed is determined by the slowest DIMM module populated in the system.

crash2424

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
ok guys seem that the problem is solved. i putted slot 1 and2 old ram. slot 3 and4 new ram. I was doing 1 and 3 old and 2 and 4 new. it does freeze anymore is working perfectly. it really improved the overall speed of my pc.
the only thing now is that the fan is really making a loud sound all the time. like a airplane or something. it used to be pretty quiet. should i worry about that?
other than that is working fine.