Computers BSODs after startup? Ideas on why?

EvanBerrett

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Hey guys. Built a computer for my brother-in-law recently and something odd is happening (this is my 7th build, so I do have some experience).

To keep costs down (only needs it for very basic things, really low budget), I used an AMD A6-5400k and a MSI-FM2-A75MA-E35 Mobo. The hard drive was a used hard drive from Ancestry.com acquired from my brother who works there. the OS is Windows 7 64-bit, OEM builder disk, first time use.

Basically when he's starting up the system, it BSODs as soon as anything graphics intensive happens. He can't even have the system rate the performance without it BSODing. I'm kind of confused because I tested it and had it running for a full hour before packing it up to "ship". It's obviously a video issue, but we can't tell exactly what the problem is.

I built the computer where I live and then had a friend of his take it to him two states over. Everything seems to be intact apparently inside. I installed all of the drivers from the MSI disk, and the BIOS is at defaults. He only installed Microsoft Office, nothing else was changed. Could it be because we used a used hard drive? Is the APU or Mobo Faulty? Just Driver issues? Thoughts?

Solution
Lots of things can happen during shipping. The ram can become unseated, the heat sink can receive a lot of stress from bumps if it is sitting up right. The video I take it is on the CPU?
I would firstly, run a temp monitor and see what the temps are doing when idle on the desktop. Then run the system rate program and watch the temps.
Let us know what happens.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Lots of things can happen during shipping. The ram can become unseated, the heat sink can receive a lot of stress from bumps if it is sitting up right. The video I take it is on the CPU?
I would firstly, run a temp monitor and see what the temps are doing when idle on the desktop. Then run the system rate program and watch the temps.
Let us know what happens.

Solution

EvanBerrett

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I actually theorized the same things. My brother in law says the RAM is seated properly and the heat sink is supposedly seated well also (I have a friend who will hopefully soon go over there and check for sure). The temps however are only in the 25-35 range so doing just fine.

The video is indeed on the CPU, it's an AMD APU so I figured this would be quite painless :p, the only thing I can think of is maybe the MSI drivers didn't interact well with the AMD APU.