[SOLVED] Computer's CPU is stuck at base speed when playing (most) games.

moistclam

Commendable
Jan 21, 2018
I have an Intel i7-7700HQ and the base speed is 2.80 GHz but has a full speed of ~3.5 GHz. I also have a GTX 1060 and I am using a laptop for reference.

I only play games on my laptop when it's plugged in as obviously that allows for the best CPU performance. I also switch to High Performance mode in the power options before I open a game. When there's no game open with these settings and circumstances active, my CPU will run at 3.5 GHz and won't dip at all, but when I open a game like Fortnite or Warzone, my CPU will drop down to my base speed (2.80 GHz) and won't go past that no matter how hard I try and what in game graphics settings I select. Keep in mind, I make sure all of my games are using the NVIDIA graphics card in the NVIDIA control panel.

The strange thing is that some games will run at 3.5 GHz (like Warframe) just fine, so I really don't know why this is so random and specific to some games only. Another thing that makes this strange is that Fortnite and all my other games DID run at 3.5 GHz before (like maybe half a year ago) so I'm confused as to what changed and why this now affects the majority of the games I have installed except for a few.

If anybody could help me out that would be great as this is really starting to bug me. Thank you!

Solution
Like I said my CPU used to be able to handle these speeds so I'm assuming I can maybe open up my computer and fix it?
Your laptop is more than capable. I see the issue as a thermal issue. 97C is damaging to the CPU so be careful.

Reapply thermal paste on your CPU and clean out the dust in the fans. You might have to work a little harder to get to the CPU since its a laptop but this should help you.

Be sure to apply thermal paste correctly. Or look it up on YouTube if you are not sure.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-3.html

moistclam

Commendable
Jan 21, 2018
What are your temps?

If your CPU or laptop is getting too hot your CPU will not boost to 3.5GHz. Thermal throttling.

Yea, never thought about checking the temps. Just opened Fortnite and the temps ranged from 75°C - 85°C . Sometimes it even spiked to 97°C. So yea... definitely can see the problem here. Is there any way I can fix this? Like I said my CPU used to be able to handle these speeds so I'm assuming I can maybe open up my computer and fix it?

Like I said my CPU used to be able to handle these speeds so I'm assuming I can maybe open up my computer and fix it?
Your laptop is more than capable. I see the issue as a thermal issue. 97C is damaging to the CPU so be careful.

Reapply thermal paste on your CPU and clean out the dust in the fans. You might have to work a little harder to get to the CPU since its a laptop but this should help you.

Be sure to apply thermal paste correctly. Or look it up on YouTube if you are not sure.

Reactions: heyman1186
Solution

moistclam

Commendable
Jan 21, 2018

Alright, will do. Thank you for the help.