Question computers fans spin but no display

Oct 12, 2019
so my i designed a friend a computer on pc part picker (pcpartpicker.com/list/ctxhD2) he bought the parts and built it but there is no display but the fans spinned. i have looked everywhere i tried using different ram, i tested the PSU, no graphics card, with graphics card, unplugging this plugging it back in testing this and that and nothing works fans spin it goes through a little nice ez debug thing where if there is something wrong it would stop on that led and tell you whats wrong but nothing shows up on the ez debug. i did some research and the i5 9400f has some compatibility issues with motherboard so we just have to update the bios but how do you update the bios if you dont have a cpu that "works" and no flash bios button. we already had a problem with a bad motherboard and its been like 3 months since he first bought it and we have been trying forever can someone help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i did some research and the i5 9400f has some compatibility issues with motherboard so we just have to update the bios but how do you update the bios if you dont have a cpu that "works" and no flash bios button.
You can't.
You need a compatible CPU in order to do this unfortunately. Unless as you state, you have a BIOS flash button.

BIOS update has to occur before installing the new CPU and on that motherboard, you need an out of the box compatible CPU to do so.
So options are to find a cheap compatible CPU or potentially take it to a shop who can update it for you.

That board in particular does indeed require a BIOS update to take the 9400F as it is a newer CPU that the chipset wasn't originally made for.

If it is indeed the BIOS that is the issue, you may want to find out what BIOS it shipped with. If it is not BIOS related, then you can cover this guide in it's entirety: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Reactions: Bubbadoge
Oct 12, 2019
You can't.
You need a compatible CPU in order to do this unfortunately. Unless as you state, you have a BIOS flash button.

BIOS update has to occur before installing the new CPU and on that motherboard, you need an out of the box compatible CPU to do so.
So options are to find a cheap compatible CPU or potentially take it to a shop who can update it for you.

That board in particular does indeed require a BIOS update to take the 9400F as it is a newer CPU that the chipset wasn't originally made for.

If it is indeed the BIOS that is the issue, you may want to find out what BIOS it shipped with. If it is not BIOS related, then you can cover this guide in it's entirety: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
would you know any good cheap motherboards or cpus that would work for 50$ or less?