amdfanatic5287

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
ok i have a pretty good understanding of computers and going to school to get my associates in computer science. also i work at the local geek squad(great in field experience) Some people i work with and customers think that these are the right way to work on a computer. ok heres the myths.

1you can work on a live mobo(meaning the computer plugging in with power going to the board)
2To reset the bios remove the cmos battery while the computer is powered on.(bad idea i kno)
3Also Norton anti virus is good virus protection.
4 you can only run cf or sli on a mobo not both.
5. SLI is a better technology then CF.
6.Hitting a tower or tipping it over while HDD spinning cannot damage the hdd.
Last thing is just a question if anyone knows wheather or not asus mobos will still be called asus when the subsiditary pegatron starts making the mobos and asus steps away in summer of 2010.
i kno these are nub question but to prove my point i am relying on you guys to tell the fact so i can slap the printouts in their face.

1. hmmm i have to say no if your meaning while the computer is on. Even if your meaning the computer off but plugged in. I wouldn't take the risk of damaging hardware.

2. yeah thats a bad idea.

3. well i use Norton and i think it good. (other may disagree.)

4. well with most motherboard only have 2 or 3 x16 pci-e slots and you need a least 2 graphic card to run cf and sli so..... unless your meaning motherboard can only have CF or SLI then thats a myth as there are motherboard that can do both. just not running at the same time in the same system.

5 sli is only better because it scales better (last i checked anyways) than cf

6 i would say thats 1/2 and 1/2 myth. unless the HDD has a sensor to know when it tipping (like in laptops hdd (or at least some of them)) you could damage the HDD. If you hit the case... well it could damage it but unlikely

For asus, im not aware of asus stepping away from making MB's so unless someone else has info about that, asus (as i know it) will be making MB for the foreseeable future.

I understand that you are young, and just learning a lot of things. Congratulations and I hope you achieve great things, I hope your choice of career is long and rewarding. But you have to think a little harder about what you are getting ready to post, and you have just posted some common amateurish statements that are all argument.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
learn what ya got, then ya know if you can smack it, delete cmos, and spread rumors...

the generalizers attempt to make a career out of dynamical subjects..all while cliaming the rest of us 12 year custom builders are rock heads...the most dynamical group of all... :whistle:

I have literlly dropped my case waist high no probs..to learn the specific drive had an an unsual shock proofing.

Another board, I used to clear cmos with low battery...power on...

and there really is no such thing as a brand name...99% of parts all overlap every other brand name. How 'bout that "Micron". Who cares what else they called it...

if you want to guarantee difference go for workstation capable equipment, it is then, you might be able to give two craps about anything.