May 2, 2020
This is going to be a long post. I'll try my best to be as clear and concise as possible. Specs will be listed near the end.

The problem:
  • The machine shuts down at completely random intervals, as the title says. This has been going on for three years, within two different houses. The computer simply snaps off without warning, no error code, nothing to indicate that there's any sort of problem. None of the lights inside the case are on when this happens. About two seconds later, the machine reboots automatically. There is no pattern to these shorts, or any kind of trigger whatsoever, at least that I've been able to discover.
  • It can (and has) crashed while doing anything you can imagine. Writing in Google Docs, Playing a game, reading an EBook, watching a video, ect. Any activity that pops into your mind, it has crashed during said process. Heck, I've sometimes come home from running errands, to find that it has crashed while I wasn't doing anything with it at all. The only thing which has any degree of consistency to this problem is that the Crashes are becoming more and more frequent with the passage of time.
  • It used to only occur once, or twice in a month. It now happens two, or three times between a three-to-six day period. The Crash can happen within five minutes of booting, or it will take days to crop up.
  • There is no error code left behind, aside from Event 41:Kernel-Power, which does not provide any useful information.
Further Details:
  • The Build is a "VYBE" Mid-Tower from Maingear. I've sent it in for RMA three times. They sent it back each time without being able to diagnose, or solve the problem. They claim the crashes did not occur while it was in their care.
  • Save for the fans, nothing from the Original Build exists within the Chassis. Everything has been replaced. The RAM, HDD, Motherboard, GPU, CPU, and PSU have all been swapped out. Even the Case itself has been changed. The issue persists. No change.
  • I was asked to test my peripherals, see if any of them are causing the issue. Bought a new mouse, new keyboard, DisplayPort cord, and Ethernet Cable. No longer using the ancient speakers once connected. Monitor and it's DVI were swapped. Same issue occurred. Tried it with nothing connected but the Power and Ethernet. The result was no different.
  • The BIOS have not been updated to the latest version. Is that a possible cause? Would it be worth pursuing?
  • Living Standards around here prohibit me from trying the Computer on a different outlet. Is there any way to check and see if the outlet I'm currently using is unable to support the PC? I tried some kind of Circuit Tester plug-in thing and it said the outlet was fine, yet the issue is still present. If there is another way to test the power, I have no idea how to do so.
  • The computer is currently plugged directly into the wall. It's also occupied at least three different surge-protectors in the past, and a completely different wall, in a completely different house. No change.
  • It should be noted this problem was also present before the complete replacement.
Computer Specs:
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z370-P
  • Processor: i7-8700k-CL
  • Processor Cooling: Closed Loop Liquid Cooling, 120mm Maingear EPIC Supercooler.
  • Graphics Card: MSI AERO GTX 1070 8GB
  • RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX Fury Red 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL18 DIMM 1Rx8 (Kit of 2) Memory HX432C18FR2K2/16
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 850W
  • Storage: WD Black 2TB Performance Internal Hard Drive

Please let me know what else I can provide. Apologies in advanced if I left anything important out.

I'm not sure what to do. With how frequently it is crashing these days, I can't reliably use it for anything. I really don't want $2.5k to go down the drain, but I'm utterly stumped.
The OS has been wiped and reset multiple times.
I've run several "complex" diagnostic tools -- they all came up clean. It's not temps, that would be too easy.
Everything down to the Keyboard I'm using to whine about this has been replaced with new parts. The people over at RMA tell me the computer is completely fine, and that it is my problem from here on out. Could pester them again (the warranty is still good for another couple of months) but I'm not sure what it could accomplish, seeing as I cannot disprove I'm causing the problem, somehow.
Could try updating the BIOS, but would that solve anything? Perhaps a UPS would be useful?

Any kind of help would be enormously appreciated. At this point, I've no clue how I should proceed. How on Earth could the problem remain if all the parts within have been swapped? Unless they lied about swapping them, but that's not something I can prove. If it is on my end, it's unclear what the cause is. I don't know what to do, or what to look for. ಥ╭╮ಥ

Solution
This is going to be a long post. I'll try my best to be as clear and concise as possible. Specs will be listed near the end.

The problem:
  • The machine shuts down at completely random intervals, as the title says. This has been going on for three years, within two different houses. The computer simply snaps off without warning, no error code, nothing to indicate that there's any sort of problem. None of the lights inside the case are on when this happens. About two seconds later, the machine reboots automatically. There is no pattern to these shorts, or any kind of trigger whatsoever, at least that I've been able to discover.
  • It can (and has) crashed while doing anything you can imagine. Writing in Google Docs, Playing a...
D

Deleted member 14196

No you misunderstand the case is probably touching the motherboard and shorting out something and it probably did that on the last one too

And since you didn’t replace the case that must be the culprit

May 2, 2020
And since you didn’t replace the case that must be the culprit
Even the Case itself has been changed. The issue persists. No change.
The Case has been changed.
I've not cracked it open just yet, but from what I can tell, the board is not resting against the case. Could probably curl a finger behind it. Is that possible? The board just touching the case could cause this avalanche of random crashes?

D

Deleted member 14196

I would take everything out of the case and run it for a long time outside of the case just to rule it out if it runs without problems than you know you have a case issue

May 2, 2020
It's something I'll have to think about. Wouldn't know how to remove it from the case, much less run it outside of one. I don't want to cause more damage to the machine than what I'm already dealing with (if I were more experienced with this sort of thing, then I wouldn't have bought it Pre-Built).

May 2, 2020
Decided to try my luck with a UPS. Picked one up and followed the installation instructions to the letter. Computer crashed within eight hours of uptime. Completely useless.

I'm utterly stumped at this point.

No you misunderstand the case is probably touching the motherboard

Cracked it open and gave it a look. The Motherboard is not touching the case. Still way too inexperienced to try running the Motherboard outside of the case, so unless I can find an open shop to do it, that's not happening.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020

The problem:
  • It can (and has) crashed while doing anything you can imagine. Writing in Google Docs, Playing a game, reading an EBook, watching a video, ect. Any activity that pops into your mind, it has crashed during said process. Heck, I've sometimes come home from running errands, to find that it has crashed while I wasn't doing anything with it at all. The only thing which has any degree of consistency to this problem is that the Crashes are becoming more and more frequent with the passage of time.
  • It used to only occur once, or twice in a month. It now happens two, or three times between a three-to-six day period. The Crash can happen within five minutes of booting, or it will take days to crop up.
  • There is no error code left behind, aside from Event 41:Kernel-Power, which does not provide any useful information.
Further Details:
  • The Build is a "VYBE" Mid-Tower from Maingear. I've sent it in for RMA three times. They sent it back each time without being able to diagnose, or solve the problem. They claim the crashes did not occur while it was in their care.
  • Save for the fans, nothing from the Original Build exists within the Chassis. Everything has been replaced. The RAM, HDD, Motherboard, GPU, CPU, and PSU have all been swapped out. Even the Case itself has been changed. The issue persists. No change.
  • I was asked to test my peripherals, see if any of them are causing the issue. Bought a new mouse, new keyboard, DisplayPort cord, and Ethernet Cable. No longer using the ancient speakers once connected. Monitor and it's DVI were swapped. Same issue occurred. Tried it with nothing connected but the Power and Ethernet. The result was no different.
  • The BIOS have not been updated to the latest version. Is that a possible cause? Would it be worth pursuing?
  • Living Standards around here prohibit me from trying the Computer on a different outlet. Is there any way to check and see if the outlet I'm currently using is unable to support the PC? I tried some kind of Circuit Tester plug-in thing and it said the outlet was fine, yet the issue is still present. If there is another way to test the power, I have no idea how to do so.
  • The computer is currently plugged directly into the wall. It's also occupied at least three different surge-protectors in the past, and a completely different wall, in a completely different house. No change.
  • It should be noted this problem was also present before the complete replacement.
Computer Specs:
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z370-P
  • Processor: i7-8700k-CL
  • Processor Cooling: Closed Loop Liquid Cooling, 120mm Maingear EPIC Supercooler.
  • Graphics Card: MSI AERO GTX 1070 8GB
  • RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX Fury Red 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL18 DIMM 1Rx8 (Kit of 2) Memory HX432C18FR2K2/16
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 850W
  • Storage: WD Black 2TB Performance Internal Hard Drive
Please let me know what else I can provide. Apologies in advanced if I left anything important out.

I'm not sure what to do. With how frequently it is crashing these days, I can't reliably use it for anything. I really don't want $2.5k to go down the drain, but I'm utterly stumped.
The OS has been wiped and reset multiple times.
I've run several "complex" diagnostic tools -- they all came up clean. It's not temps, that would be too easy.
Everything down to the Keyboard I'm using to whine about this has been replaced with new parts. The people over at RMA tell me the computer is completely fine, and that it is my problem from here on out. Could pester them again (the warranty is still good for another couple of months) but I'm not sure what it could accomplish, seeing as I cannot disprove I'm causing the problem, somehow.
Could try updating the BIOS, but would that solve anything? Perhaps a UPS would be useful?

Any kind of help would be enormously appreciated. At this point, I've no clue how I should proceed. How on Earth could the problem remain if all the parts within have been swapped? Unless they lied about swapping them, but that's not something I can prove. If it is on my end, it's unclear what the cause is. I don't know what to do, or what to look for. ಥ╭╮ಥ
I assume if your PCs power is shorting out you need a new PSU. Also check the MB. If none of that helps, try getting a new PC and start off fresh. It's likely faster and may solve it

Solution