Computerworld's Windows 7 Source Was a Sham

Status
Not open for further replies.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
the original article's testing methodology was too vague and make way too many assumptions to be taken seriously anyways.

i'm sure most of tom's hardware readers already found a lot of problems and faults with the article to begin with.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"Despite the entire Internet community jumping on Devil Mountain Software, the company's blog stood by its claims."

You mean, despite the entire internet community jumping on you, because it's simply astounding how such ignorant information could be passed on by a 'professional' columnist working for an IT enthusiast site.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]"Despite the entire Internet community jumping on Devil Mountain Software, the company's blog stood by its claims."You mean, despite the entire internet community jumping on you, because it's simply astounding how such ignorant information could be passed on by a 'professional' columnist working for an IT enthusiast site.[/citation]

You sir, hit the nail on the head.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I knew it wasn't true. I've worked on and examined a hundred windows 7 machines and even the 1 gb netbooks aren't overly starved for ram

FlorinR

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
i'm sure most of tom's hardware readers already found a lot of problems and faults with the article to begin with.

... and also many readers found problems with their new W7 install...

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]What does this guy stand to gain by discrediting a great OS like Windows 7?[/citation]

Page hits.... therefore cash.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsifal57[/nom]Hmmm, It still didn't stop Marcus Yam posting as if it was fact!You guys need to validate things like this before posting them, otherwise you're every bit at fault as Computerworld is, in fact probably worse because you supposedly have the technical knowledge to verify and disprove the statements.Its about time you actually acted as Journalists and not as Blog plagiarists.[/citation]

Thanks for the tip. My department is responsible for news, and we have to make sure we deliver info to you guys as fast as possible, while trying to be as accurate as possible. We quoted Computerworld, which up until now, many have regarded as a reputable source, wouldn't you say so? And as such, we usually aren't afraid of quoting reputable sources because they're well, usually reputable.

If we had to do background checking for every piece of breaking news, there would be no breaking news. That's why we have follow-ups, like this article.

Stop putting your foot in your mouth and acting as though you know how it is to do our job. Calling us "blog pagiarists?"

Let me tell you, personally, what I owe you: zero.

What I owe the Tom's Hardware community as a whole:

- Timely information (News = fast/responsive)
- Try to be as accurate as possible
- Try to follow-up

So before you hammer out your insults, get some perspective.

/ Tuan

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]"Despite the entire Internet community jumping on Devil Mountain Software, the company's blog stood by its claims."You mean, despite the entire internet community jumping on you, because it's simply astounding how such ignorant information could be passed on by a 'professional' columnist working for an IT enthusiast site.[/citation]What'd the five fingers saytathe face? SLAP! lol... when I read that article about the high RAM usage I almost peed. I used Win7 RC1 for over a year with 6gigs of RAM and never had a problem (obviously).

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Such a great cleaning song.[/citation]I think she just warned you. :) I almost thought you were serious for a second though! I guess I am gullible as hell.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Thanks for the tip. My department is responsible for news, and we have to make sure we deliver info to you guys as fast as possible, while trying to be as accurate as possible. We quoted Computerworld, which up until now, many have regarded as a reputable source, wouldn't you say so? And as such, we usually aren't afraid of quoting reputable sources because they're well, usually reputable.If we had to do background checking for every piece of breaking news, there would be no breaking news. That's why we have follow-ups, like this article.Stop putting your foot in your mouth and acting as though you know how it is to do our job. Calling us "blog pagiarists?" Let me tell you, personally, what I owe you: zero.What I owe the Tom's Hardware community as a whole:- Timely information (News = fast/responsive)- Try to be as accurate as possible- Try to follow-upSo before you hammer out your insults, get some perspective./ Tuan[/citation]With that, I might add, you just got SCHOOLED SON!

noneedformonkeys

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Delete this message....

So my posting gets deleted when I point out the anti-windows undertones to Marcus's articles. I was even being nice (no cursing) in expressing my opinion.

In all fairness;
-Thank you Marcus Yam for listening to the hundreds of "WTF?? my win7 runs fine", "It's called Superfetch!!" comments stirred up from the first article.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-ram-memory-xp,9701.html

I appreciate that you stuck with the story, and de-bunked this source.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I definitely like the fact that the News Article writers aren't ghost writers with no visible signs of life. Please stay in contact with your readers and speak your mind! Lord knows this place needs it.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]With that, I might add, you just got SCHOOLED SON![/citation]Wait, hopefully what I said was taken correctly. I was applauding Tuan for speaking up. Let's just make that clear.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Wait, hopefully what I said was taken correctly. I was applauding Tuan for speaking up. Let's just make that clear.[/citation]

It's okay, we understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.