Comtrend Powerline Adapter Only Works With 10 Mbps Half Duplex Setting

Oct 20, 2018
So I use a Comtrend PG-9172 powerline adapter to try to get my 100Mbps down to my computer, which is on the same floor as my router, I just can't move my computer anywhere near the router. The powerline adapter only works on the 10 Mbps Half Duplex setting if I go into the speed & duplex settings. I have a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller and a Dell motherboard, but I'm not exactly sure what model it is. I have tried replacing the ethernet cable between the adapter and the computer, I have tried switching the adapters, and I have already set up the secure connections between devices, so I'm wondering if there is any way to help get the full speed of my internet connection through these adapters.

Nov 30, 2018
There are so many factors to consider when it comes to using the power lines for network traffic.

Here are some suggestions

Consider Pairing the units. It has been my experience that the Comtrend units work better if the security is enabled.

Try confirming performance (if possible) more local to your router. This might indicate there is a source of interference between the two locations.

Try confirming performance (if possible) to another outlet within the same room as your computer. This might isolate the outlet as having an interference issue.

Avoid Power Strips, UPS and line conditioners. Those will add interference as well.

There are just general tips and may or may not apply to your specific installation environment.