Question Concern about NVMe SSD and my setup

Mar 13, 2019
Hello world,

I am in the following predicament and need some advice/suggestions. I just purchased the Intel 660p 1 TB NVMe M.2 SSD for a good price since my current Samsung EVO M.2 NVMe SSD (currently my boot and ONLY drive in this system as I bought it this way) is completely full and I need more storage. Currently the MOBO I have (ASUS Z170M-E D3) only supports 1 x M.2 interface (SATA or PCIe) so my concern is how I am going to clone the existing Samsung drive to my new Intel drive when it arrives. I also want to make sure I didn't overlook something that will allow me to use both drives at the same time, as I am new to this NVMe storage technology. Thank you all for your input.

Link to MOBO: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170M-E-D3/specifications/

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for the response but how would I clone it if I only have the capacity on my MOBO for one NVMe SSD at a time? I imagine I would have to get both drives installed at the same time in order to do this clone, no?

Mar 13, 2019
Why don't you just put the new NVME on a PCIE card, use that as mass storage and keep the old m2 for booting and running apps?
This is something I didn't know was plausible (as im a noob in this realm), I would like to use both if possible. Since it is an M.2 drive that I purchased, what would I need to buy exactly to mount the SSD in a PCIe card? Then I would still get the full capability of the speed of the drive too. Can you tell me what I need to buy to do this?