[SOLVED] Concern with GPU drivers

Maverick1234

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
Should I download first a new driver for my gpu before installing the gpu to the motherboard?

I'm currently using an APU which is the Radeon Vega 8 and I will be switching to the RX 570 . I was wondering if I should download first the driver for the RX 570 before installing it to the motherboard. Thanks!

Solution
If you're going to install a discrete GPU, you're advised to use DDU to uninstall the APU drivers, then power down, disconnect from the wall, drop in the RX570, then install the latest drivers sourced off of AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? It's also good practice to make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date.
AMD drivers need to recognize your RX 570 when installing drivers.
If its not installed in a system, or its not recognized, AMD will just stop while in the installation process, and you will be greeted with "AMD graphics card not detected" message (or something like that).
So install your RX 570 first, boot with it and then install the drivers.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're going to install a discrete GPU, you're advised to use DDU to uninstall the APU drivers, then power down, disconnect from the wall, drop in the RX570, then install the latest drivers sourced off of AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? It's also good practice to make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

Maverick1234

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021
Do I really need to use the DDU to remove the old drivers? I was told it wasn't really neccessary to delete old drivers and just to remember to have the onboard graphics card disabled.

InvalidError

Titan
Should I download first a new driver for my gpu before installing the gpu to the motherboard?
Practically every video card made in the past 30 years supports legacy VGA mode and Windows will simply use the generic VGA driver when the GPU-specific drivers aren't available so you can still use the computer to update drivers after-the-fact.

As for DDU, I have never used it and never had any issues.

Maverick1234

Prominent
Feb 20, 2021

Actually, the instruction about the DDU is here and I wasn't paying attention my bad. Thank y'all for helping me out