Question Concerned about CPU package temperature (Should I apply more paste?)

Jan 14, 2023
Hi guys! first time posting here, need some advice.

I'm slightly concerned about my CPU package temperature. and I'm wondering if I should reapply thermal paste?

Basically, as I write this in a fairly standard non high intensive PC state, my CPU package temp reading is sitting at 85 degrees.

Other current temperatures:

Chipset: 56 degrees
Motherboard: 38 degrees
GPU temp: 42 degrees

Is my chipset temperature too high considering I'm not playing any games or running any high demand programs right now?

The fan is not being particularly noisy, but it sounds like it's going faster than it really should be considering I'm basically doing nothing on my PC at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm if they run well and no funny stuff happens would i not mind the extra ram, just make sure you have a 4+8gb stick per channel for a good dualchannel set up. You could do a memtest86 run overnight to see how they hold up.

See nothing bad with the temps as well. If using a stock cooler could you upgrade that.

Basically, as I write this in a fairly standard non high intensive PC state, my CPU package temp reading is sitting at 85 degrees.
As others have said if it doesn't go crazy while gaming or doing heavier stuff then it's ok.
You could go into bios and adjust the fan curve or put the fan at 100% all the time to see if the temps change.
If you have 85 degrees at 100% fan speed while doing anything then you have a problem.