Question Concerned about the availability of RTX 20 series ?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Not sure if this is something to ask or discuss here and I don't know about everyone here but for me I'm satisfied with the RTX 20 series as its a decent price point and for the games I play I'm happy getting 1080p at 30 or 60fps.

The GPU I'm using right now is the MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC 6GB. So far I'm happy with it having the broadcast to record my voice with noise cancelling and games running fine atleast the ones that I play.

my concern however is if the 20 series gets discontinued, I'm forced to get high priced GPUs that need more wattage which has me worried. Should I be worried about this?

Intel i5 13600k

Ram : 64 GB Ripjaws V

GPU : MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC 6GB

Motherboard : MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 (MS- 7D41)

Drives: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX500 4TB

Samsung 870 Evo 2TB

Solution
There are unlikely to be many more 40 cards. Thats why I mentioned 5090. Its the next big "you can buy a car or this GPU" type deals Nvidia likely to release... a GPU so good people sell their souls to get it... (I don't see point, nothing is the best forever, waste several thousand every year trying to stay at top... better to just buy next best. It doesn't hurt as much when something better is released).

Top end likely to keep slurping power, low end push features and low power usage as selling points... AMD somewhere inbetween. Intel unknown.

4060 is low end, uses low power
4070 is better and uses slightly more
4080 is probably good enough and needs 800watts
4090 eats every game alive and needs 1200 or more (can depend on other...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am surprised they still make them. I had a 2070 Super and for a few years was afraid it would stop working... but that was 20/21 and everything was hard to get back then. My card stopped being made in 2020...

The more recent Nvidia cards use less power, the 4060 for instance only uses 115w, your GPU uses 160. The necessary PSU for the 4060 is less than yours.

what PSU do you have? even a 4070 only needs a 550watt PSU.

I wouldn't worry about it, they might cost more but you also get better features too.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
what PSU do you have? even a 4070 only needs a 550watt PSU.

I got Seasonic Prime Gold 850w

My main worry is that this news here says for using latest GPUs requires more wattage PSUs.

For me its not the problem of getting a PSU with that wattage. Its a problem finding a UPS that supports that wattage in my area which is a huge problem for me.

Already for this 850w PSU I'm using is limiting me with this APC Back Up Pro 1500 which is the only good UPS in my local area.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You hadn't mentioned you wanted a 4090... I mean, its not in same league as what you had.
850watt PSU wouldn't be enough for one of those, I seen people with a 1000watt PSU and a 4090 before. I would go any lower really

Do you really need the best? I normally only get 2nd best GPU as you generally don't pay as much but still get reasonable performance. 4080 only needs 800watts and is probably more than enough.

I can't see future but good chance 5090 need even more.

Hey there,

So, if you are happy with the current card, there is no need to get a new one.

The 20xx/16xx cards are not produced any more. However they do have support. So it won't be dysfunctional or anything. The current drivers support all the way back to the 9xx series, so nothing to be concerned about there.

If you look after the card it could last 10 years.

Keep in mind though. Even at 1080p there are games that will really punish your card. The time will come when you won't get the FPS you want, and then is the time to worry about upgrades,

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You hadn't mentioned you wanted a 4090... I mean, its not in same league as what you had.
850watt PSU wouldn't be enough for one of those, I seen people with a 1000watt PSU and a 4090 before. I would go any lower really

Do you really need the best? I normally only get 2nd best GPU as you generally don't pay as much but still get reasonable performance. 4080 only needs 800watts and is probably more than enough.

I can't see future but good chance 5090 need even more.

I don't really know much of graphic cards. My main concern is what if later cards past 40 get more expensive and need more watts.

I guess you're right. I'll see when that time comes.

My main concern is what if later cards past 40 get more expensive and need more watts.
as was explained earlier;
the newer RTX **60 series cards use even less wattage than your RTX 2060.

so as time goes on and the cards evolve the indication is that the same will continue.

if you decide to finally upgrade to something a lot more powerful like the RTX 4090 you list. then yes you will need a much more powerful power supply and a higher-end UPS to support it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are unlikely to be many more 40 cards. Thats why I mentioned 5090. Its the next big "you can buy a car or this GPU" type deals Nvidia likely to release... a GPU so good people sell their souls to get it... (I don't see point, nothing is the best forever, waste several thousand every year trying to stay at top... better to just buy next best. It doesn't hurt as much when something better is released).

Top end likely to keep slurping power, low end push features and low power usage as selling points... AMD somewhere inbetween. Intel unknown.

4060 is low end, uses low power
4070 is better and uses slightly more
4080 is probably good enough and needs 800watts
4090 eats every game alive and needs 1200 or more (can depend on other parts)

if they release a 4050 its not worth looking at.

that is series, there are a few TI in there, but nothing else major likely to come out.

Last edited:
Reactions: WrongRookie
Solution
I don't think any 40xx series card is good value. Apart from the 4090, and maybe the 4080.

In terms of price and performance the OP might be best suited to a Radeon 6700/6800xt, which are very fast. If RT graphics are important then Nvidia is the way to go, as the 3rd gen Ray tracing is far better than AMD. If RT isn't important, I'd go in the direction of AMD.