Question Concerned: CPU Voltage in Adaptive Mode Causes VID spikes on Overclocked CPU.

Jesmonkey

Honorable
Sep 10, 2014
Concerned: CPU Voltage in Adaptive Mode Causes VID spikes on Overclocked CPU.

Help Request - CPU
I have found some stable overclocks with override voltages for my CPU, and am now looking to set it to adaptive voltage so that I can get the benefit of energy saving and less wear on my CPU for 24/7 use. However when using adaptive mode for the CPU V Core, I have found that it spikes +0.1V above the voltage that I set in the BIOS. Is this an issue, and is there a way to make it not go above the stable voltage that I found when overclocking in override mode?
Additional Info:
I have an i5 4670K CPU and an ASRock Z97 Extreme3 mobo. I have found the following stable overclocks with CPU voltage set to override:

40@1.190V, 41@1.190V, 42@1.290V, 43@1.290V.
I thought that I could just turn Voltage Mode back to "Adaptive" so that it would lower the voltage when idle, and only raise it to the voltage that I set when under load. However when I tried this, I saw spikes in the VIDs when under load (Valorant). The spikes I'm seeing are as follows:
41@1.190V can spike to 1.29V, 42@1.29V can spike to 1.39V, 43@1.29V also spikes to 1.39V
I have confirmed seeing these CPU VID spikes in HWMonitor, CPU-Z, and in HWINFO64. I am aware that VID and V Core are supposedly different things, but I have no V Core displayed in any of the programs I just mentioned. Only VID shows up in each one, with CPU-Z showing Core VID as well. Maybe VID is the same as V Core for my mobo.
Also, these spikes only last a second or less and do not result in increased temps.

TLDR:
I want to use adaptive mode with my stable overclocks but unfortunately I am seeing VID spikes of +0.1V over my set voltages (so for 1.19V, im getting 1.29V spikes). Is this something I should be concerned about, and if so, how do I prevent this in adaptive mode?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Heyo
VID in simple terms is what the CPU "asks" the mobo to provide, a bunch of voltage steps contained into the microcode, this allows the CPU running at stock to communicate with the board to switch power states in order to save power, overclocking makes the CPU ask for more power but the steps always stay the same because they're nominal and work with percentages instead of fixed values.
While VCC or the core voltage is what the mobo actually delivers to the CPU, if the mobo has a fixed voltage set then it'll ignore the VID signals and deliver what's set, use the load line calibration to override the VID and mitigate the vdroop which is the difference between what the LLC sets and what's actually delivered to the chip.

sw measuring isn't very accurate but in order to find out how much voltage is really going into your CPU and if there are spikes you need an oscilloscope, probes and sensors, if you're not that much into OC then it's not worth it
About this
looking to set it to adaptive voltage so that I can get the benefit of energy saving and less wear on my CPU
Unless the CPU is constantly running at 100% then a couple more mV won't kill your CPU, it's current and overheating what causes electromigration and wears the CPU, but it takes decades unless you overvolt it so much some of the surface mounted stuff on it dies

This should help you, guy's an expert

Jesmonkey

Honorable
Sep 10, 2014
Heyo
VID in simple terms is what the CPU "asks" the mobo to provide, a bunch of voltage steps contained into the microcode, this allows the CPU running at stock to communicate with the board to switch power states in order to save power, overclocking makes the CPU ask for more power but the steps always stay the same because they're nominal and work with percentages instead of fixed values.
While VCC or the core voltage is what the mobo actually delivers to the CPU, if the mobo has a fixed voltage set then it'll ignore the VID signals and deliver what's set, use the load line calibration to override the VID and mitigate the vdroop which is the difference between what the LLC sets and what's actually delivered to the chip.

sw measuring isn't very accurate but in order to find out how much voltage is really going into your CPU and if there are spikes you need an oscilloscope, probes and sensors, if you're not that much into OC then it's not worth it
About this

Unless the CPU is constantly running at 100% then a couple more mV won't kill your CPU, it's current and overheating what causes electromigration and wears the CPU, but it takes decades unless you overvolt it so much some of the surface mounted stuff on it dies

This should help you, guy's an expert

Thanks for the reply,

I watched the youtube video you linked, and what I got from it is that you will still get voltage spikes that exceed your set idle voltage even if you change the LLC settings. So I guess changing LLC is not the solution?