ShowbizAtol933

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
Hi everyone, I ordered a sea-sonic prime plat. 850 w power supply on eBay that came with no cables but was a really good deal about 6 months ago. I also order the supposed OEM cables for it, also on eBay. It came with the sea-sonic bag and everything. I was running an OC’d i7 5960x pulling about 280W since with no hiccups. Well I sold that setup and upon disassembling the rest of the computer for cleaning I was looking at all my cables which are 18 AWG, which from what I understand is the standard. Well upon closer inspection I noticed that the 24 pin motherboard cable is 22 AWG which can’t be OEM I’d imagine. Well I’ve been using it just fine for the last few months but what I am wondering is that is it even safe to run this cable when I put new parts in the computer. The total system power draw should be similar with the new components. I have second spare power supply and I checked it’s 24 pin and it’s also 18 AWG so I’m just a bit confused.
Thanks!

Solution
PCIe and EPS12V should be 16g. Molex and SATA 18g. 24-pin will have 18g for single lead +3.3, +5, +5VSB, ground, and +12V. 20g for double lead +3.3, +5, ground, and +12V and - 12V. 22g for ps on, pwr good and sense wires.