Question Concerning GPU Fan Speed

kgham02

Prominent
Jul 17, 2022
Hi everyone,

I recently bought an open box RTX 3080 10GB ROG STRIX V2 OC from Microcenter. Performance-wise, this card has been amazing, however, the fan speed of the GPU is starting to concern me. Although my temperatures sit at around 70-76 under very heavy loads, the fan speed reaches 83% to 86% (2000-2400). The reason I'm concerned is that according to numerous reviews that I've read and seen, this specific GPU is supposed to run very quietly. Mine, however, runs extremely loud whenever playing games or doing any sort of demanding tasks. I should also mention that I'm using a Lian Li Mesh II ATX case with 3 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans, so I don't think case airflow is a problem. I just wanted to know if I should be concerned about my GPU's high fan speed given that I bought it open box, or if this fan speed is normal for 3080s. Thank you for your time and help!

kgham02

Prominent
Jul 17, 2022
Drop a side panel and see if the fan speeds decrease.

If they do you should consider airflow in the case. If they don't it is likely a limitation with the cooling of that particular configuration of GPU.

Okay, I'll give it a try. Is it possible there's an issue with the GPU's cooling system, such as improper application of thermal paste or pads? I'm probably just being paranoid, but I want to make sure I didn't receive a defective unit. Thanks for the quick response.