Question Concidering an upgrade and I'd appreciate help

akuboii

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Alrighty. I have had this current PC for a couple years and due to budgetary reasons I opted for components that were already a few years old during the building process of it. And well in 2020 the components definitely show their age with more modern games that I've been playing recently. These games would include the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. And I think it's due for a bit of an upgrade to get it a bit more up to date with the current times. The reason I need help is because for the couple years that I've had this PC I haven't been keeping up with what's going on in the world of tech and PCs. I have done a bit of digging and looking around for components and this is the current list of components that I've been thinking.

Intel i5 9600K
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) GDDR4 RAM
GeForce RTX 2070 (haven't thought of the exact model, it will then depend on availability and whatnot)
Corsair RM850x 850W (Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that 850W is a bit overkill so I'll possibly downscale that to 750W)
Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD (I already have a 120GB SSD with my OS and some essential programs on it as well as a 1TB HDD but I figured higher capacity SSD would be nice to get those speedier load times)

This would be an upgrade from the following specs

Intel i5 4690K (I have the ol' trusty Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler on it and that still works just fine but maybe I'll get a new cooler. Just not sure yet)
An Asrock MoBo that I don't remember the exact model of
Crucial Ballistix 8GB GDDR 3 RAM
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970
A Cooler Master 500W PSU again I don't remember the model name.

The MoBo, RAM, and the PSU I carried over from the previous build so they're even older. About 4-5 years maybe.

I will be getting a new case as well since I want something that's a bit better quality and some of the USB connectors are pretty wrecked (they we're not very good quality in the first place)

Oh and I am running Windows 10 just in case that it's relevant information.

Thank you!

SSD: Don't bother spending money on an SATA SSD when you can get an NVMe SSD. Especially when an NVMe SSD costs less. Even a lowly Crucial P1 NVMe will blow away the fastest SATA SSD. So, get the 1TB Crucial P1. Also make it the boot drive. Just ditch the old and slow 128GB and leave it in your old system. Perhaps keep it if you want to use it to try out linux.

CPU: A Ryzen 3600x gives you more bang for your buck. If budget is a concern. You can get the MSI Tomahawk B450. It's a solid motherboard. It has a CPU-less and Memory-less BIOS flash option if it doesn't include the updated BIOS. Many B450 motherboards don't have this option except MSI (not all MSI just some have it). I chose the Tomahawk as it is a solid budget board. This may give you room to buy a Ryzen 3700x. Otherwise the 9600K and Z390 is a decent price. With upcoming game consoles going with eight cores. I'd want the eight core Ryzen 3700x. At least the 3600x can run 12 threads with it's 6 cores. If you have the budget go with an X570 motherboard for PCIe 4.0. If you must choose the 3700x is more important than PCIe 4.0.

RAM: What speed? You should be getting 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz. Especially if you go with Ryzen. Kingston is a solid brand. I believe they still manufacture their own memory. Just like Crucial.

GPU: Sounds good. The Radeon RX 5700 XT is a comparable choice.

PSU: Definitely good. Get the pre-2019 model. As they cut some corners in 2019. Not that the 2019 isn't good it just isn't as good. EVGA Supernova G3 and Seasonic Focus Plus Gold are just as good.

Windows: You'll definitely need a clean install on a new computer. Moving an install. While it often works. It is often buggy. You'll think your computer is unreliable trash. When in reality it's because you didn't clean install Windows. Also, you'll likely need a new license. Unless you bought a retail (not OEM) license.

akuboii

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
SSD: Don't bother spending money on an SATA SSD when you can get an NVMe SSD. Especially when an NVMe SSD costs less. Even a lowly Crucial P1 NVMe will blow away the fastest SATA SSD. So, get the 1TB Crucial P1. Also make it the boot drive. Just ditch the old and slow 128GB and leave it in your old system. Perhaps keep it if you want to use it to try out linux.

CPU: A Ryzen 3600x gives you more bang for your buck. If budget is a concern. You can get the MSI Tomahawk B450. It's a solid motherboard. It has a CPU-less and Memory-less BIOS flash option if it doesn't include the updated BIOS. Many B450 motherboards don't have this option except MSI (not all MSI just some have it). I chose the Tomahawk as it is a solid budget board. This may give you room to buy a Ryzen 3700x. Otherwise the 9600K and Z390 is a decent price. With upcoming game consoles going with eight cores. I'd want the eight core Ryzen 3700x. At least the 3600x can run 12 threads with it's 6 cores. If you have the budget go with an X570 motherboard for PCIe 4.0. If you must choose the 3700x is more important than PCIe 4.0.

RAM: What speed? You should be getting 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz. Especially if you go with Ryzen. Kingston is a solid brand. I believe they still manufacture their own memory. Just like Crucial.

GPU: Sounds good. The Radeon RX 5700 XT is a comparable choice.

PSU: Definitely good. Get the pre-2019 model. As they cut some corners in 2019. Not that the 2019 isn't good it just isn't as good. EVGA Supernova G3 and Seasonic Focus Plus Gold are just as good.

Windows: You'll definitely need a clean install on a new computer. Moving an install. While it often works. It is often buggy. You'll think your computer is unreliable trash. When in reality it's because you didn't clean install Windows. Also, you'll likely need a new license. Unless you bought a retail (not OEM) license.

Thanks for the reply and sorry it's taking so long for me to do so.

So my thought process with the current CPU, MoBo and RAM setup here was because on the website I was looking at they offered them as a bundle and the total was cheaper than if I were to buy those same components seperately. Intel was the first choice since it's what I've always had and I'm familiar and comfortable with. However I will for sure check out the corresponding AMD stuff you mentioned and then make up my mind. Oh and the ram was 3200Mhz, forgot to mention sorry 'bout that.

Both the RM750x and the RM850x were the 2018 models where I was looking from. Still not sure which to get. Upgrade headroom would be nice but the 850W still seems like overkill.

With the SSD I didn't even check the NVMe SSDs since the last I knew about them they were really expensive. Yeah I'll definitely get one of those.

So with Windows I bought the license that I have about 5 years ago and if I remember correctly I have the retail, not the OEM version but I am not completely sure. Is there some way to check this? And with the clean install stuff I have no idea how to do that so I'd guess there are tutorials on the internet for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and sorry it's taking so long for me to do so.

So my thought process with the current CPU, MoBo and RAM setup here was because on the website I was looking at they offered them as a bundle and the total was cheaper than if I were to buy those same components seperately. Intel was the first choice since it's what I've always had and I'm familiar and comfortable with. However I will for sure check out the corresponding AMD stuff you mentioned and then make up my mind. Oh and the ram was 3200Mhz, forgot to mention sorry 'bout that.

Both the RM750x and the RM850x were the 2018 models where I was looking from. Still not sure which to get. Upgrade headroom would be nice but the 850W still seems like overkill.

With the SSD I didn't even check the NVMe SSDs since the last I knew about them they were really expensive. Yeah I'll definitely get one of those.

So with Windows I bought the license that I have about 5 years ago and if I remember correctly I have the retail, not the OEM version but I am not completely sure. Is there some way to check this? And with the clean install stuff I have no idea how to do that so I'd guess there are tutorials on the internet for that.

Check if Windows 10 is retail or OEM.

The RM750x is plenty.

As far as the Motherboard, CPU and RAM go. If they offer a good price on the Intel bundle. Then get that. I was just pointing out the AMD as you will generally get more for your money. Although that Intel motherboard is absurdly expensive in general for that chipset. Especially paired with a mid range CPU. It would have to be one heck of a discount. I'm guessing you'll be able to get a much faster Ryzen 3700x and decent x570 chipset motherboard for about the same price.