[SOLVED] Conecting my PSU to GPU Help!

Mar 30, 2020
PSU: Novatech 500W Power Station V2 ATX Power Supply
GPU: sapphire pulse radeon rx 580 8g
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 (rev4.1)

My PSU has its two 8 pin slots and two of its 6 pin slots available. The GPU has an 8 pin connector.

Now my worry is the Pin designation, i cant find out the pin designation for the GPU and so i'm not sure if i can send directly from my 8 pin to the GPU (8pin Male to 8pin male) or directly from my 6 pin to the GPU (6pin male to 8pin male).
my worry is passing line voltage down a pin made to take 3.3v or 5v. How do I ensure that the pins are all connected up to their correct counterpart?
How do i find out if they are compatible and that any cable i buy has? its pins routed properly? is it standardised?

Many thanks in advance for any help? Pretty much a novice with PC building with some know how and a background as a sparky.

Solution
Generally your PSU manual will be able to tell you which cables connect to which slots on your PSU. Once you find the spot specifically meant for your 8pin cable, don't worry about how many pins the end connected to the PSU has. I have a PSU that has a 6 pin go into an 8pin cable, but it is specific to my power supply. The manufacturers website generally has the manual available as PDF and should allow you to see which slots are meant for PCIE so that the GPU can be properly powered.

Overall, PCIE cables from a PSU are pretty standard, they just have to come out of the correct slot on the power supply and then the other should fit into your GPU no problem. The GPU end should always fit as it is standardized.

I also see that your PSU...

TheDarkPleco

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
Generally your PSU manual will be able to tell you which cables connect to which slots on your PSU. Once you find the spot specifically meant for your 8pin cable, don't worry about how many pins the end connected to the PSU has. I have a PSU that has a 6 pin go into an 8pin cable, but it is specific to my power supply. The manufacturers website generally has the manual available as PDF and should allow you to see which slots are meant for PCIE so that the GPU can be properly powered.

Overall, PCIE cables from a PSU are pretty standard, they just have to come out of the correct slot on the power supply and then the other should fit into your GPU no problem. The GPU end should always fit as it is standardized.

I also see that your PSU has 6+2 pins, meaning your PCIe cables can either just use 6 pins or all 8. Note that the 8 pin connector on the power supply end is normally meant for your CPU.

Reactions: o9malla
Solution