Conficker Gets Update, Does ... Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Your links to the previous posts are broken.

Beyond not being able to go to norton and mcafee's (and others) websites, is there any other telltale that a machine is infected?

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]belter[/nom]The joke is on people like us reading these articles at work instead of working.[/citation]

I believe that means the joke is on our employers.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
It would be quite the ironic moment if the new virus turns out to be installing AVG or a hacked version of norton antivirus etc. and patching it up to date.

Granted this is unlikely in the extreme but in my own twisted mind it would be hysterical. A virus that infects PCs...and cleans them up.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]solymnar[/nom]It would be quite the ironic moment if the new virus turns out to be installing AVG or a hacked version of norton antivirus etc. and patching it up to date.Granted this is unlikely in the extreme but in my own twisted mind it would be hysterical. A virus that infects PCs...and cleans them up.[/citation]Actually many do fix them to prevent competing malware from invading. Once a malware installs itself as a rootkit it no longer has to worry about existing security programs since it has full control. The security programs just become more defense tools the malware can use.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
That is... a mystery... i wonder why no one got track to the person responsible yet? A high bounty is offered... This might just be some conspiracy theory but could this be a plot to sell antivirus or make us rely more on security updates and upgrades... the virus afterall is described as only to affect computers with old system...

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
looks like they maybe doing dos attack, or even looking for something

i wonder how will these sites will handle several million pcs mindlessly, repeatedly hitting them. it's got to slow them down, cost them. in addition increase overall internet bandwidth utilization.

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]looks like they maybe doing dos attack, or even looking for somethingi wonder how will these sites will handle several million pcs mindlessly, repeatedly hitting them. it's got to slow them down, cost them. in addition increase overall internet bandwidth utilization.[/citation]

Sucks if you have Time Warner :)

I'm not heading for the basement yet. My linux machine will protect me :)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
So the Norton variant Conficker that they cooked up in the labs doesn't allow you to visit the AVG website? And does nothing else harmful besides making sure you are connected to the internet?

What a threat. I'm sure Norton will be here shortly to make sure everyone buys some Antivirus. Wouldn't want to not be able to access norton.com.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Why do I bet that this is connected to one or both of the US Power Grid hacks that the government has discovered being set up by both the Russians and the Chinese?

Say...at an opportune moment, the viruses in all the infected PC's activates, assaults the banking, public, and government record systems and wipes everything (like personal and business accounts, all public records, medical records, court records, property records, etc.) and then crashes the entire electric grid to make recovery virtually impossible. Bye, Bye, US economy and infrastructure.

G

Skynet is here. All Your Base Are Belong to Us. At least we have Christian Bale to strike back at them...

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]Why do I bet that this is connected to one or both of the US Power Grid hacks that the government has discovered being set up by both the Russians and the Chinese?Say...at an opportune moment, the viruses in all the infected PC's activates, assaults the banking, public, and government record systems and wipes everything (like personal and business accounts, all public records, medical records, court records, property records, etc.) and then crashes the entire electric grid to make recovery virtually impossible. Bye, Bye, US economy and infrastructure.[/citation]

watched fight club lately? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.