[SOLVED] Config ideas for two 512GB 970 PRO NVMe M.2

Dec 24, 2018
Hi everyone. Very grateful to have found this site. Am building a new multi-use workstation and am looking for storage configuration ideas. Programs & uses:

* Adobe CC suite (for 10min fun/educational videos)
* Voice Over (for said videos)
* Poker
* Stock Trading
* Writing (FinalDraft)

Parts on order:

- i9 9900k
- ASUS ROG Strix Z390E
- ASUS ROG GeForce 1070 (x2)
- Samsung 512GB 970 PRO NVMe M.2 (x2)
- Crucial 32GB DDR4 2666 MHz (2 x 16GB)
- Corsair Hydra 150i Pro RGB
- Thermaltake 850W PSU
- Windows 10 Pro
- Toying with the idea of partitioning for Ubuntu for fun.

For the first time in my life, i can build a computer to what I want and not OTS. But at almost $3k, aside from RAM upgrade, this had better last me a while (dad yelling in my head ;). I got a good deal on two M.2 SSD drives. Do you have any setup suggestions? Multiple drives? RAID0, etc? Partition?

Bonus question: I appreciate differences of taste, but any feedback of dire consequence for my parts list? Any road-worn advice? "You plan to use WHAT? LMAO!" ;)

You should know, I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. Good at learning and doing, but I need guidance because if left alone, stuff will burn down.

Thanks!

Solution
A typical config would be one drive for the OS and applications, the other drive for all that other stuff.

And NOT RAID 0, at all. Not even a little bit.
Dec 3, 2018
with that much money you could at least take some better quality RAM :D

970 PRO is incredibly fast SSD, you wont make mistake. For additional things youve asked about it I'm not informed.

Dec 24, 2018
Thanks for the feedback, community.

USAFRet, I think I agree. In researching RAID0, it makes both "belong" together forever (unless/until reformatted). I don't like that idea.

dex, in the past day I've been searching more. Advice is to use at least 3000Mhz memory. I think I will do that. Thanks for the corroboration.

karen, I made no mention of a backup plan because my question is that I don't have any plan. lol But thanks for the reminder to have only one drive attached during the install. I read that days ago in a passing glance through a website and forgot ALL about that. Glad you said that. And I'll look into a backup plan for a C drive. That's one reason I don't like the idea of RAID0 because both are used actively for the same one drive. Two drives as one seems so wasteful. (edit: For my application at least. Obviously RAID0 has its uses if it's a big topic.)

This has been VERY helpful. If anyone thinks of more, I would gladly welcome it.