Configure wireless network without ADSL?

I recently purchesed a 'Belkin 54Mbps ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g
Wireless Router' along with a couple of wireless network adapters.

All should have been quite simple until a line check by BT revealled I
couldn't get broadband afterall :-( I'm told though that trials are
taking plans to extend the reach of broadband to 10km and so if all
goes well I'll be ok for the end of the summer. In the meantime I'd
like to know if it is possible to use the router and wireless cards to
set-up a wireless network to share files amongst the PC's?

I had hoped this would be possible but it appears you can only
configure this by going to 192.168.2.1 in your browser which I assume
can only connect if the router is coonected to ADSL as whenever I try
this it is unable to find the page. Is there a utility or work around
to allow me to configure this offline? Or a way of getting it to work
with my analogue connection?

Many thanks in advance for any hep you may be able to offer.

James Hawden wrote:
> I recently purchesed a 'Belkin 54Mbps ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g
> Wireless Router' along with a couple of wireless network adapters.
>
> All should have been quite simple until a line check by BT revealled I
> couldn't get broadband afterall :-( I'm told though that trials are
> taking plans to extend the reach of broadband to 10km and so if all
> goes well I'll be ok for the end of the summer. In the meantime I'd
> like to know if it is possible to use the router and wireless cards to
> set-up a wireless network to share files amongst the PC's?
>
> I had hoped this would be possible but it appears you can only
> configure this by going to 192.168.2.1 in your browser which I assume
> can only connect if the router is coonected to ADSL as whenever I try
> this it is unable to find the page. Is there a utility or work around
> to allow me to configure this offline? Or a way of getting it to work
> with my analogue connection?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any hep you may be able to offer.

You should be able to set up the LAN side of the wireless network without
having ADSL. Remember, when you connect to the router using address
192.168.0.1 you are connecting directly to the router over the wireless (or
wired) link. You are not connecting to the router via the internet. Indeed,
as the router is what gives you a gateway to the internet it would be rather
hard to connect to the router from the internet (WAN) side from within your
own LAN, whether ADSL was working or not.

If it did work as you "feared" then you would hardly need the router since
you would have a magical connection to the internet directly linked to your
wireless NIC - clever stuff indeed ;-)

Note, it is often far easier to set up the router initially using a wired
connection as you can then alter wireless security settings (WEP/ MAC
filtering etc.) without having the connection drop repeatedly until you
match the NIC settings to the router.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:25:47 +0100, "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>James Hawden wrote:
[...]
> In the meantime I'd
>> like to know if it is possible to use the router and wireless cards to
>> set-up a wireless network to share files amongst the PC's?
>>
>> I had hoped this would be possible but it appears you can only
>> configure this by going to 192.168.2.1 in your browser which I assume
>> can only connect if the router is coonected to ADSL as whenever I try
[..]

>If it did work as you "feared" then you would hardly need the router since
>you would have a magical connection to the internet directly linked to your
>wireless NIC - clever stuff indeed ;-)

Also, if you needed ADSL to work before being able to browse to the
router's web server, how would you be able to config the connection
details for the initial connection? In other words, the ADSL side does
not have to work to reach its web server.

Netgears use 192.168.0.1, maybe Belkins do too?
Does it have flashing lights to show there is traffic on the link to
the router from your PC? PC's got a light to show it's talking? Sounds
like it's not.

Headers spam-proofed. Use cmylod at bigfoot . com

Also, if you don't have broadband, you can get an analog router to share a
dialup connection among your computers.

"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> James Hawden wrote:
> > I recently purchesed a 'Belkin 54Mbps ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g
> > Wireless Router' along with a couple of wireless network adapters.
> >
> > All should have been quite simple until a line check by BT revealled I
> > couldn't get broadband afterall :-( I'm told though that trials are
> > taking plans to extend the reach of broadband to 10km and so if all
> > goes well I'll be ok for the end of the summer. In the meantime I'd
> > like to know if it is possible to use the router and wireless cards to
> > set-up a wireless network to share files amongst the PC's?
> >
> > I had hoped this would be possible but it appears you can only
> > configure this by going to 192.168.2.1 in your browser which I assume
> > can only connect if the router is coonected to ADSL as whenever I try
> > this it is unable to find the page. Is there a utility or work around
> > to allow me to configure this offline? Or a way of getting it to work
> > with my analogue connection?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance for any hep you may be able to offer.
>
> You should be able to set up the LAN side of the wireless network without
> having ADSL. Remember, when you connect to the router using address
> 192.168.0.1 you are connecting directly to the router over the wireless
(or
> wired) link. You are not connecting to the router via the internet.
Indeed,
> as the router is what gives you a gateway to the internet it would be
rather
> hard to connect to the router from the internet (WAN) side from within
your
> own LAN, whether ADSL was working or not.
>
> If it did work as you "feared" then you would hardly need the router since
> you would have a magical connection to the internet directly linked to
your
> wireless NIC - clever stuff indeed ;-)
>
> Note, it is often far easier to set up the router initially using a wired
> connection as you can then alter wireless security settings (WEP/ MAC
> filtering etc.) without having the connection drop repeatedly until you
> match the NIC settings to the router.
>
> --
> Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Thanks for all your help. I am still unable to set-up the router as i
cannot acces 192.168.2.1. I now understand that the connection is
direct to the router so no ADSL required so am therefore a little
puzzled as to why i can't get it to work!

The PC has a network card in it, this is connected directly to the
wireless router using the wired option. The router lights up
indicating a connection to the first (of four) wired ports and does
occasionally flash. Has anyone any ideas then as to what could be
preventing me from being able to access 192.168.2.1? I have tried
various things such as adding :88 to the end but to no avail.

Are there any settings, such as security setting that i need to reset
on the PC? I followed all the instructions supplied with the router
for what was meant to be a 'quick and easy' set-up - no such luck :-(

It's not actually an analog router. It's a router with an RS-232 port
instead of (or in addition to) an Ethernet WAN port. The RS-232 port would
be connected to a voice (Plain Old Telephone System) modem.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Also, if you don't have broadband, you can get an analog router to share a
> dialup connection among your computers.
>

> "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > James Hawden wrote:
> > > I recently purchesed a 'Belkin 54Mbps ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g
> > > Wireless Router' along with a couple of wireless network adapters.
> > >
> > > All should have been quite simple until a line check by BT revealled I
> > > couldn't get broadband afterall :-( I'm told though that trials are
> > > taking plans to extend the reach of broadband to 10km and so if all
> > > goes well I'll be ok for the end of the summer. In the meantime I'd
> > > like to know if it is possible to use the router and wireless cards to
> > > set-up a wireless network to share files amongst the PC's?
> > >
> > > I had hoped this would be possible but it appears you can only
> > > configure this by going to 192.168.2.1 in your browser which I assume
> > > can only connect if the router is coonected to ADSL as whenever I try
> > > this it is unable to find the page. Is there a utility or work around
> > > to allow me to configure this offline? Or a way of getting it to work
> > > with my analogue connection?
> > >
> > > Many thanks in advance for any hep you may be able to offer.
> >
> > You should be able to set up the LAN side of the wireless network
without
> > having ADSL. Remember, when you connect to the router using address
> > 192.168.0.1 you are connecting directly to the router over the wireless
> (or
> > wired) link. You are not connecting to the router via the internet.
> Indeed,
> > as the router is what gives you a gateway to the internet it would be
> rather
> > hard to connect to the router from the internet (WAN) side from within
> your
> > own LAN, whether ADSL was working or not.
> >
> > If it did work as you "feared" then you would hardly need the router
since
> > you would have a magical connection to the internet directly linked to
> your
> > wireless NIC - clever stuff indeed ;-)
> >
> > Note, it is often far easier to set up the router initially using a
wired
> > connection as you can then alter wireless security settings (WEP/ MAC
> > filtering etc.) without having the connection drop repeatedly until you
> > match the NIC settings to the router.
> >
> > --
> > Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Taking a moment's reflection, James Hawden mused:

| Are there any settings, such as security setting that i need to reset
| on the PC? I followed all the instructions supplied with the router
| for what was meant to be a 'quick and easy' set-up - no such luck :-(

If you are sure the Belkin router's IP is 192.168.2.1, then assign your
PC an IP manually, and make it 192.168.2.2 ... then try to access the
router. You should be able to get to it by just typing the IP in the
browser (no ":88" is needed for example).

According to all the info supplied with the router the IP address is
192.168.2.1, but i have also tried the others mentioned here. I'll
try assigning an IP address to the PC tonight as suggested and report
back soon!

Thanks!

James Hawden wrote:
> Thanks for all your help. I am still unable to set-up the router as i
> cannot acces 192.168.2.1. I now understand that the connection is
> direct to the router so no ADSL required so am therefore a little
> puzzled as to why i can't get it to work!
>
> The PC has a network card in it, this is connected directly to the
> wireless router using the wired option. The router lights up
> indicating a connection to the first (of four) wired ports and does
> occasionally flash. Has anyone any ideas then as to what could be
> preventing me from being able to access 192.168.2.1? I have tried
> various things such as adding :88 to the end but to no avail.
>
> Are there any settings, such as security setting that i need to reset
> on the PC? I followed all the instructions supplied with the router
> for what was meant to be a 'quick and easy' set-up - no such luck :-(

Do you mean 192.168.2.1? In my (limited) experience the router is normally
on 192.168.0.1 Note the "0" rather than "2".

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.

Taking a moment's reflection, Tiny Tim mused:

| Do you mean 192.168.2.1? In my (limited) experience the router is normally
| on 192.168.0.1 Note the "0" rather than "2".

By contrast, Linksys routers default to 192.168.1.1 ...

What I meant by analog router was a router with a built in 56k modem, or one
with a RS232 port to connect at 56k modem.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> It's not actually an analog router. It's a router with an RS-232 port
> instead of (or in addition to) an Ethernet WAN port. The RS-232 port
would
> be connected to a voice (Plain Old Telephone System) modem.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> "Richie" <mbc@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > Also, if you don't have broadband, you can get an analog router to share
> > dialup connection among your computers.

You are correct that the Belkin router default IP address is 192.168.2.1.
Your computer must also have an address beginning with 192.168.2 for it to
communicate with the router. Check your computer's address with ipconfig.
To communicate through the router to other networks, ipconfig should show a
Default Gateway of 192.168.2.1 (the router's host address on the LAN).

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"James Hawden" <james@hawden.co.uk> wrote in message
> According to all the info supplied with the router the IP address is
> 192.168.2.1, but i have also tried the others mentioned here. I'll
> try assigning an IP address to the PC tonight as suggested and report
> back soon!
>
> Thanks!

Thanks for all you help here so far. Still no luck i'm afraid :-(

Checked IP Config and all is as it should be but still i can't access
192.168.2.1. The light on the router flashes to indicate activity,
the connection even recognises some data transfer but still won't
display the config screen.

Is there anything else that could be blocking this? Is it possible my
modem could be conflicting? Are there any tweaks that can be made
within Windows XP (pro), anything???

I'm thinking that i may just have to return it all and try another
manufacturer but its frustrating not knowing why it won't work for me!

Thanks.