Configured router as access point, internet (LAN and WiFi) working poorly or not at all

Flamecrest

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hey guys, I need your help. I have two routers in my network. Everything was fine when they both acted as routers, but someone told me it would be better if I made the last router in my network an access point.

So that's what I did. Now my housemates are complaining the internet is slow as hell, and they sometimes lose connection. This all happened ever since I configured the router as an access point.

The first router is an ICIDU 300N, and the second is a TP-LINK TL2543ND.

Did I do something wrong? Should I switch the two routers?

Quick last note, I play online games like Battlefield and the like, so connection is high priority..

Thanks!

Solution
all firmware is updated?

I would put the tp-link first so that if any speed is being hindered by the slower router at least it would be on the last leg not the beging (hope that makes sense)

Also, are you using the same name for the networks, may be causing conflict by confusing the devices.

which port are you pluging the ruter to the second router (port in on second router)

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
simple answer would be to use the tp-link first since it apears to be a higher bandwith and AC supporting router (AC faster than N if you have adaptor to use AC)

I will look at specs of icidu later.

Are you trying to use them as wireless repeater? If so you lose about half the speed on the repeater since it is having to talk twice (once to 1st router and then again to device).

If you have them wired, see if you can do wired bridge mode, yes you lose come functions of the 2nd router when doing as a repeater or bridge but it lets the 1st router do all the dhcp and everyone comes off the same network so if any sharing is done then they should all be able to still share whatever it is.

Flamecrest

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I know a little about networks, but not about the slang. The TP does have a higher bandwidth, and somehow a better WiFi coverage aswell. I'm not using them as a wireless repeater (I think). I basically have the following setup: ISP ---> Modem ----> ICIDU (router) ----> TP-LINK (accesspoint/switch/whatever I just made sure it's taking over IP's from the ICIDU).

So basically if I put the TPLINK in the ICIDU place, and vice versa, it should work better? I don't really have time to test it now (it's 9pm and I have an exam in the morning and the rest of the week), but if that is the best solution, I'll implement it.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
An access point is a repeater for the most part. Also, if understood what you had set up, modem-ucicd-tplink......you couldn't have tplink do all the dhcp with that setup

May I ask why two routers in first place

Flamecrest

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

The TP-link didn't do the DHCP. Well it used to do DHCP, but not exclusively. Okay lemme paint a clearer picture:
Before I started configuring everything, I had a router-modem (with DHCP) from my ISP. Attached to that was the ICIDU (with DHCP), and attached to that was the TP-LINK (with DHCP). Then I figured that I could do better than that, so I had the router-modem put in bridging mode (no more DHCP), I made the ICIDU my primary router with DHCP, and I configured the TP-LINK as an Access Point (no more DHCP). It seemed more logically configured that way.

I've always had shitty internet in the attic, and seeing as my entire everything is located there (smart TV, Xbox 360 and One, gaming PC), I needed to get more internet to the attic. Working with three routers worked fine, but it's a hassle if I'm trying to connect the Raspberry Pi (connected to ICIDU) to my main computer (connected to the TP-LINK). I could reverse everything to the old setup, but I really wanna get this working again.

Yeah they're connected through LAN, all of them. I prefer LAN over Wireless.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
all firmware is updated?

I would put the tp-link first so that if any speed is being hindered by the slower router at least it would be on the last leg not the beging (hope that makes sense)

Also, are you using the same name for the networks, may be causing conflict by confusing the devices.

which port are you pluging the ruter to the second router (port in on second router)

Solution

Flamecrest

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

I think I'm plugging port 1 to port 1, it wouldn't work any other way. I'll try switching the two around when I have time, thanks. If you hear nothing from me, everything worked out. Else, I'll be back in touch. :)