Question Configuring a Dual boot with Windows 10/11 with older external drive?

AinSeattle

Reputable
May 30, 2019
How can I convert external hard drive to recognize new hardware in a dual boot configuration?

I have an old, almost full 2 TB hard drive with Windows 10 and all my older software that will not run under Windows 11. It is now hooked up to a new Windows 11 ASUS via a SATA-to-USB docking station. When booting onto the Windows 10 drive using the BIOS method, a repair utility automatically pops up and won't go beyond to finish loading Windows 10.

Is there a way to convert Windows 10 to the new ASUS hardware without a full format or losing the data on the external hard drive?

Well, no windows will boot from a usb drive even if everything is 100% working.
You can install VMware it's free for home use, or virtualbox, and then give them access to the whole disk, if it boots there it should also boot on your real hardware ,if connected straight to sata, as long as legacy/uefi boot and TPM and so on is all in order.

AinSeattle

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Making sure I understand your answer...

And even knowing these questions are redundant...

Windows 10 isn't loading because it is going through USB, correct? In other words, boot from USB (OS and recovery on thumbdrive) okay but load Windows via USB, not okay.

Since both my legacy business software and the new laptop apps are used equally when I'm traveling, it is imperative to bounce between two Windows versions.

To show my age, I've not virtual machine'd for over twenty years. Much has changed. On my ASUS, the only way to connect any secondary hard drive is via USB and not straight SATA. How can VM overcome the failure to load Windows via USB? I know that a straight dual boot Win10/11 on the laptop can exist but there isn't enough hard drive space to hold all the business legacy software and two Windows. If Windows will never, ever load thru USB, I'm screwed. Does VM solve this?

Thanks so much for the help!!

--A

Since both my legacy business software and the new laptop apps are used equally when I'm traveling, it is imperative to bounce between two Windows versions.
If windows 10 is a requirement for your software, then keep only windows 10.
Reinstall OS on your laptop to windows 10.

Your windows 10 drive is from a different pc. Right?
Do not expect to be able to boot it on your laptop without issues. Even connected internally via sata.

If storage space is an issue, then get a drive with larger capacity.

AinSeattle

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Your windows 10 drive is from a different pc. Right?
Do not expect to be able to boot it on your laptop without issues. Even connected internally via sata.

If storage space is an issue, then get a drive with larger capacity.

Yes, the hard drive is from a 2020 Dell laptop.
August 2022 the Dell started having issues.
Hard drive, all RAM and battery replaced with same model new OEM parts.
October 2022, stopped booting at all.
Removed the hard drive.
November and December searched for any brand replacement with similar specs as the Dell.
Few robust business laptops still exist...Windows 10 with small capacity SSDI drive or Windows 11 with larger capacity SATA...what I call "cloud impact".

Still had to ask and was hoping there was a technical way to get the ASUS to boot from the Dell drive but, hey, no worries. Microsoft Windows bites again. ;) LOL It is what it is.

:unsure:

--A

Last edited:

AinSeattle

Reputable
May 30, 2019
What specific software is this?

Everything from Nikon to Kodak to Canon Fax software to colorimeter color management to self book publishing software to Adobe to Autodesk Edit, several custom financial programs, and on, and on. Ironically, the ones that run under Windows 11 with no problems are DOS based because they are running in a DOS emulator. They are happy as fleas on a dingo. 🆒 It is the Windows 95 to Windows XP era softwares that are stubborn.

But to your overall question, no.
You can't morph a Win 10 install from a different system into booting from an external drive.

Thanks. Direct and informational. I will step back and regroup.

--A

USAFRet

Titan
Everything from Nikon to Kodak to Canon Fax software to colorimeter color management to self book publishing software to Adobe to Autodesk Edit, several custom financial programs, and on, and on. Ironically, the ones that run under Windows 11 with no problems are DOS based because they are running in a DOS emulator. They are happy as fleas on a dingo. 🆒 It is the Windows 95 to Windows XP era softwares that are stubborn.
And NONE of my photo/video/CAD applications that run under Win 10 fail to run in Win 11.

Adobe Lightroom, Rhino3D, Paintshop Pro, VideoStudio Pro, SpyderX Colorimeter, many others.

AinSeattle

Reputable
May 30, 2019
And NONE of my photo/video/CAD applications that run under Win 10 fail to run in Win 11.

Adobe Lightroom, Rhino3D, Paintshop Pro, VideoStudio Pro, SpyderX Colorimeter, many others.

Many of my legacy applications are much older. Example: Spyder2 colorimeter. Under Win10 many applications were installed under Win95 and Win98 compatibility mode. That's not a Win11 properties > compatibility option and troubleshooter keeps suggesting XP which errors on launch.

I'm thinking OS compatibility changes and/or how I uniquely configure/control freak customize my systems. And I'm just going to have to evolve.

Now mostly just frustrated that there is a Windows 10 licensed hard drive that is useless and a Windows 11 licensed machine that doesn't run old, old legacy software. I miss the days when building a custom :geek: PC was easy.

Again, sincere thanks for the advice!

--A

AinSeattle

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Unfortunately, a Windows is not as modular as we'd all like.

Unlike the physical devices, you can't just move it between hardware platforms.
FWIW, I retired from high tech. Though lived through the evolution from Commodore to Win11, I am so not up on the latest and greatest tech developments. My tech skills are rusty doing business mgmt, Have used both Macs and Windows equally. Windows flexibility of hardware/software combos have offered the best time/productivity until now.

Later... reevaluting my options for staying productive...off to research MacBooks...or maybe drag out the old XP desktop, too.

--A