[SOLVED] Configuring a RAM disk to run software

May 17, 2022
I have an 8Gb RAM drive in my system. I know programs will run faster from the RAM disk. My question is do you also have to move the support files to the RAM disk as well? (such as .dll, application extensions, database info. etc.)

Solution
RAM disk is a bit outdated for use, solid state drives made them pretty much obsolete technology. Plus for putting programs on the RAM disk, the thing is reset at every boot so you need to keep the computer running without powering it down.

As far as moving programs to another disk, it depends on how the program is setup, many of them won't work if you just move the files due to registry settings, and you need to track down where all the files the setup places go as well as any references to them.
RAM disk is a bit outdated for use, solid state drives made them pretty much obsolete technology. Plus for putting programs on the RAM disk, the thing is reset at every boot so you need to keep the computer running without powering it down.

As far as moving programs to another disk, it depends on how the program is setup, many of them won't work if you just move the files due to registry settings, and you need to track down where all the files the setup places go as well as any references to them.

Solution
Programs won't run faster unless they're constantly grabbing stuff from storage. They'll only load faster. If you have an SSD, then then benefits are fairly minimal (maybe like a few seconds).

As for the question itself, shared libraries typically do not need to be moved over. Otherwise for best results, the entire application's folder should live in RAM disk. Also as noted, every time you power off or reboot, you have to put the files back in, so it may not be practical.