Configuring a wireless laptop

Hi,

I have my main computer wired to a Motorola WR850G router. All works fine
under windows XP.

The laptop is also configured for its Acer wireless card running under XP
and is able to connect to the network. However, although the laptop is
connected to the network I cannot access the internet with the laptop. I
have tried altering the IP and subnet settings but to no avail.

The router uses IP 192.168.10.1 and the computer uses 192.168.10.2, as such
I have set the laptop to 192.168.10.3
I checked the router log and it shows that the laptop has connected OK.

What could I try to get the laptop to connect to the internet. The firewall
is not a problem since it is allowing the laptop to connect to the router. I
am assuming it must be one or more of the internet connection settings eg
the TCP/IP settings, but I cannot figure it out.

Help much appreciated, I am sure it is really easy, but I can't solve this
one.

Nick

"Mistaya" <mistaya@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have my main computer wired to a Motorola WR850G router. All works fine
> under windows XP.
>
> The laptop is also configured for its Acer wireless card running under XP
> and is able to connect to the network. However, although the laptop is
> connected to the network I cannot access the internet with the laptop. I
> have tried altering the IP and subnet settings but to no avail.
>
> The router uses IP 192.168.10.1 and the computer uses 192.168.10.2, as
> such I have set the laptop to 192.168.10.3
> I checked the router log and it shows that the laptop has connected OK.
>
> What could I try to get the laptop to connect to the internet. The
> firewall is not a problem since it is allowing the laptop to connect to
> the router. I am assuming it must be one or more of the internet
> connection settings eg the TCP/IP settings, but I cannot figure it out.
>
> Help much appreciated, I am sure it is really easy, but I can't solve this
> one.
>
> Nick

I have similar set-up though not the same hardware.

my TCP/IP settings are Obtain an IP address automatically the same for DNS
server address

under Advanced, WINS tab NetBIOS the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected.
I do recall this being an important selection when setting up my
internet/network.

dj

I tried the fix you suggested, but it made no difference, I still cannot
access the internet from the laptop.
Has anyone else got any alternative suggestions?

Nick

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:46:47 GMT, "Mistaya" <mistaya@lycos.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have my main computer wired to a Motorola WR850G router. All works fine
>under windows XP.
>
>The laptop is also configured for its Acer wireless card running under XP
>and is able to connect to the network. However, although the laptop is
>connected to the network I cannot access the internet with the laptop. I
>have tried altering the IP and subnet settings but to no avail.

Oh-oh. Why are you manually configuring the IP addresses and not
using DHCP?

>The router uses IP 192.168.10.1 and the computer uses 192.168.10.2, as such
>I have set the laptop to 192.168.10.3
>I checked the router log and it shows that the laptop has connected OK.

Connected just means that you have successfully associated with the
router. No guarantee that it's properly configured. If you're going
to manually configure the laptop, you will also need to set the
gateway IP address to the IP address of the router (192.168.10.1) and
the DNS server to the same IP address assuming the Motorola WR850G has
a cacheing DNS server.

However, my guess(tm) is all this got inspired because you set up
everything according to the destructions using DHCP and couldn't do
anything with the router. Try again with DHCP but this time, turn
*OFF* encryption for the time being. It should work as expected. If
it does, turn WEP back on but this time setup a Hex encryption key and
NOT an ACSII key. Yeah, it's long and messy, but it always works. If
the router supports WPA, then ignore the comments on WEP keys.

# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

On 24-Aug-2005, "Mistaya" <mistaya@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

> I tried the fix you suggested, but it made no difference, I still cannot
> access the internet from the laptop.
> Has anyone else got any alternative suggestions?
>
> Nick

First, follow Mr. Liebermann's advice. If you still cannot connect to the
internet with your laptop, check the router's menu and see if you've enabled
MAC filtering without putting in the MAC address of the wireless client. If
you have, either disable MAC filtering or enter the MAC address of the
wireless client.

--
Just Me, D

Johnny

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:46:47 +0000, Mistaya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have my main computer wired to a Motorola WR850G router. All works fine
> under windows XP.
>
> The laptop is also configured for its Acer wireless card running under XP
> and is able to connect to the network. However, although the laptop is
> connected to the network I cannot access the internet with the laptop. I
> have tried altering the IP and subnet settings but to no avail.
>
> The router uses IP 192.168.10.1 and the computer uses 192.168.10.2, as such
> I have set the laptop to 192.168.10.3
> I checked the router log and it shows that the laptop has connected OK.
>
> What could I try to get the laptop to connect to the internet. The firewall
> is not a problem since it is allowing the laptop to connect to the router. I
> am assuming it must be one or more of the internet connection settings eg
> the TCP/IP settings, but I cannot figure it out.
>
> Help much appreciated, I am sure it is really easy, but I can't solve this
> one.
>
> Nick

It is possible to associate with the AP and get a DHCP assigned address
and still not be able to connect to the internet because of a
misconfigured or broken firewall. Try turning off the firewall.

> Oh-oh. Why are you manually configuring the IP addresses and not
> using DHCP?

He probably read somewhere on here that it was a good idea and made it
more secure. ;)