[SOLVED] Configuring Cisco 1800 with Cable internet

Aug 20, 2019
Hey group! I've searched the forums and have not come across a solution, so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread... so here goes!

I have Cox cable internet with their Modem/Router combo.... But Im trying to configure my cisco 1800 series router so I can have some additional ports, and Im running into issues. The router was configured for my old internet provider by a friend of mine, who unfortunately is no longer around. So any configuration help would be greately appreciated, thanks!

Solution
If I was you, I'd throw away your existing router (so you can keep it if something goes wrong), get a cable modem only (compatible with your ISP), and configuring over. You will probably need to talk to Cox if there're any user names / password involved.

But as already indicated earlier - if you have troubles configuring simple end-user-designed modem/router combo, you'll have steep learning curve configuring Cisco to even start providing Internet connection as is now, not talking about VPN and other advanced topics.
Aug 20, 2019
Well, no, its more then just that. I'm eventually going to be running a couple of servers that im going to access over vpn, I just havent got that far...

I know its not for the faint of heart, and I know I dont know alot, but I was able to configure my Pix501 with no issue, just having a hard time configuring the switch

If I was you, I'd throw away your existing router (so you can keep it if something goes wrong), get a cable modem only (compatible with your ISP), and configuring over. You will probably need to talk to Cox if there're any user names / password involved.

But as already indicated earlier - if you have troubles configuring simple end-user-designed modem/router combo, you'll have steep learning curve configuring Cisco to even start providing Internet connection as is now, not talking about VPN and other advanced topics.

Solution
A 1800 series router is well over 10yrs old and they stopped support more than 5 yrs ago. Would you use a 10yr old pc.

I don't know if these devices even had gigabit ports I think they were all 10/100. Cisco intentionally limits the speed these device work at to force you to buy more expensive models. I know many of even the 2800 series routers could not even come close to 100mbps running NAT. I would bet a 1800 you are going to be lucky to get 25mbps.

If you want more ports just buy a $20 switch and you will get 8 gigabit ports.

TRENDING THREADS