Configuring Fax on Windows XP Pro

I'm having a problem configuring the fax on Windows XP Pro. When I go to the
control panel, open it up and try to add/remove windows components, I get
this error:
Setup was unable to open information file tabletpc.inf.
Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x1e at line 0.
What's going on here? This is an urgent plea for help!

Byte

That means the the tabletpc.inf file is not on your harddrive. You'll have to
extract it from either the bin directory, probably under I386 (you can run a
search of your harddrive for it, or from your XP installation CD.
Go to the following:
Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
Within the window you'll see a button "Expand file", click it and fill in the
blocks. Put the file under C:\Windows\inf
Without the inf file, your fax will not run.

"armyjim_2000" wrote:

> I'm having a problem configuring the fax on Windows XP Pro. When I go to the
> control panel, open it up and try to add/remove windows components, I get
> this error:
> Setup was unable to open information file tabletpc.inf.
> Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x1e at line 0.
> What's going on here? This is an urgent plea for help!

OK, how do I run a search for it? My installation CD is in storage out in
another state, so that option is out.

"Byte" wrote:

> That means the the tabletpc.inf file is not on your harddrive. You'll have to
> extract it from either the bin directory, probably under I386 (you can run a
> search of your harddrive for it, or from your XP installation CD.
> Go to the following:
> Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
> Within the window you'll see a button "Expand file", click it and fill in the
> blocks. Put the file under C:\Windows\inf
> Without the inf file, your fax will not run.
>
> "armyjim_2000" wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem configuring the fax on Windows XP Pro. When I go to the
> > control panel, open it up and try to add/remove windows components, I get
> > this error:
> > Setup was unable to open information file tabletpc.inf.
> > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x1e at line 0.
> > What's going on here? This is an urgent plea for help!

Byte

That's cute. As I stated, look for i386 directory.
Just go to: Start>Search>files and folders>type i386 and press OK
It should come up with several hits.
Select the one either under C:\ or C:\Windows or C\Windows\System32
If the inf file is within that directory it will extract it for you.
Otherwise, you could try a friends XP CD and it may work for you.