Configuring GA-890GPA-UD3H mobo with intel x25-m 80gb to ACHI

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hello everyone. I've been roaming on these forums for awhile and finally made an account to talk with you guys.

I recently built my own computer with a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard and Intel X25-M 80GB solid state drive. I finished setting up my rig with the SSD SATA cable connected to the first 6GB SATA port of the southbridge. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and some of Gigabyte's programs from the CD that came with it such as @BIOS, EasyTune 6 and Norton Antivirus. I flashed the bios according to @BIOS.

Everything was working fine but I did not feel satisfied with the SSD's performance. It was not loading as quickly as I'd thought it would so I went to the CMOS Setup Utility to try and optimize the performance on the SSD. I went to the Integrated Peripherals section and changed OnChip SATA Type, OnChip Sata Port4/5 Type and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode all to AHCI. I saved and exited the setup then restarted the computer.

I logged into my account and the windows desktop was loading. Immediately I was greeted with error messages of failed loading for some of Gigabyte's utility programs I've installed. I acknowledged and clicked okay on them. I proceeded to load Starcraft II beta but after the loading bar was completed the game failed to load. I tried from other .exe files but ended with the same result. Then out of nowhere the screen became grainy with random colors and the blue screen of death flashed (I couldn't read it since it only stayed on screen for a second) and restarted my computer. I heard some an odd noise from the computer tower at that time like a fan speeding up.

When the computer restarted it went to the usual 'fail to load option screen' and I loaded in safe-mode. This mode allowed me to load Windows 7 with no problem. I tried loading it normally and again the same errors happened, this time with the BSOD occuring after all the error messages showed up.

I went back to the CMOS Setup Utility screen and chose the Load Optimized Defaults option in hoping to revert everything back to normal. I loaded Windows 7 and again I got the BSOD.

Does anyone have any idea why Windows is crashing? My guess is maybe the SSD files were destroyed, I should plug the SSD into a 3GB SATA port, and/or misconfigured the BIOS setup. As of now I'm going to try and install Windows again to see if that would fix things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thanks for the link bilbat. I did a CMOS reset by taking out the battery and putting it back in. Windows 7 loaded okay. Yay! I've also moved the SATA connection from the 6GB to the 3GB.

Unfortunately I continue to run into random errors when using my computer (i.e. google chrome failing to load webpages, adobe acrobat crashing, etc.). I think the hard drive has some corrupted files.

I didn't reinstall yet but am planning to do so soon since Microsoft is not allowing me to activate my copy of Windows 7 saying it is "upgrade version". Although technically it is, I've installed the OS on my laptop fine from a clean install without using Vista as its previous platform. I don't know why it isn't letting me do it now. Maybe it's because I had it installed on my laptop? (I just reinstalled my laptop OS back to Vista - I will check soon to see if that hypothesis holds true.)

bilbat

Splendid
I am completely ignorant of MS' activation 'rules' or methods - I pay 'em their 'yearly ransom' to get everything from TechNet, and everything there just 'works', no questions asked...

You might try the "Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox" at the site above - seems to have several diagnostic modes - User's Guide here...

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
It seems every time a solution is found for the problem I'm having with my computer a new one shows up to take its place.

Now there is a BSOD indicating there is a memory manangement issue. The blue screen displays a bunch of directories, caches the disk error to my SSD, then reboots the computer.

This never happened until now. I don't have any crazy overclocking ram. Just a couple of standard Corsair DDR3 10666 2GB sticks (2x2GB). Should I go check the performance of the memory in the bios?

Thanks for the toolbox link bilbat. I will definitely install that as soon as I can have access to my desktop.

bilbat

Splendid
I assume you've already done the "Load Optimized"? That said, your memory should be set up properly. Even if you have 'lower latency at higher voltage' fast 1333, the 'standard SPD' info on the DIMMs should have given the BIOS all it needed to work with. Check that 'XMP' on the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page is disabled, at least for now... Would help to post the RAM's part number.

Might want to download Memtest86+ v4.10; extracts to an iso file; burn the iso to a CD; put the CD in the drive; set your "First Boot Device" on the "Advanced BIOS Features" page to "CDROM"; <F10> to save, exit, and reboot - should boot to the CD and run a (comprehensive) memory diagnostic - let it run for a pass or two, and report back...

bilbat

Splendid
I assume you've already done the "Load Optimized"? That said, your memory should be set up properly. Even if you have 'lower latency at higher voltage' fast 1333, the 'standard SPD' info on the DIMMs should have given the BIOS all it needed to work with. Check that 'XMP' on the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page is disabled, at least for now... Would help to post the RAM's part number.

Might want to download Memtest86+ v4.10; extracts to an iso file; burn the iso to a CD; put the CD in the drive; set your "First Boot Device" on the "Advanced BIOS Features" page to "CDROM"; <F10> to save, exit, and reboot - should boot to the CD and run a (comprehensive) memory diagnostic - let it run for a pass or two, and report back...

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I ran the Memtest86+ on my Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM - - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB (2x 2048MB), 240 Pin, Dual-Channel and it displayed no problems. I also updated the firmware for the SSD. I haven't run into any blue screens yet and will keep you posted if anything else does arise.

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Well it appears I am very unlucky. I started my desktop computer and was greeted with many program .exe failing to load error windows followed by random blue screens of death ranging from memory management to other messages that I couldn't make out.

I'm guessing the hard drive is the main issue or maybe Norton Antivirus? This is becoming extremely frustrating...

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I don't think this has anything to do with memory. I have a very strong suspicion the hard drive is what is incompatible with my setup at this moment. Thanks for the help though.

bilbat

Splendid
I'm a little bit confused - when you refer to 'hard drive', are you talking about the SSD? If your problems seem to be there, I'd try a complete reinstall. There is a new BIOS (ten days old - FBC) here, which is likely ('new-tech blues' -probably be a couple BIOS revs before all the glitches are out!) to contain worthwhile 'fixes'; then put your SSD back on the southbridge (supposed to be awesomely fast!) port0, go to the "Integrated Peripherals" BIOS page, and set "OnChip SATA Type" to "AHCI" (need AHCI to get TRIM 'pass-through' from seven); check that all the drivers on your install disk are the same rev as the ones here - if you see any newer ones, use those; when installing windoze, load the AMD AHCI pre-load (<F6>) drivers at the beginning of the install - don't trust the seven 'native' drivers... Am still looking for a 'reset' utility for SSDs - gotta be one somewhere - you really want all of it 'scrubbed' before installation, asking for eventual grief any other way...

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Sorry, yes I meant the SSD. I switched it back to the 6gb sata port and followed these steps:

how to enable ahci after installing win7

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation

Then it worked fine. Now I'm experiencing AGAIN freezing. I just hope I can type everything out here before it freezes again.

I have the bios up to date. My mobo is a revision 1.0 and not 2.0. I've already installed all the other drivers besides the AHCI but used the method above as a workaround.

kpxh87

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I'm actually typing on my laptop with the SSD in it. I swapped out the smaller hard drive in my laptop with the SSD in my desktop. The SSD is NOT the problem. It booted twice as fast as it did on my desktop and the desktop has the more powerful components! I think it is the mobo.

I've heard some mobos are incompatible with some hard drives. The reviews tend to show a glimpse of that in Newegg.