[SOLVED] Configuring Main Router to 4G Router for Failover

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
I want to configure my main router Asus RT-AC68U using the dual wan capability to failover to my Archer MR200 for 4G using the integrated sim slot, I know how to set up the main router to use port 4 for the second wan but can anybody help talk me through the settings on the Archer.

It has been used as my main router and they both have the same IP so I guess I need to change that and give it fixed IP and I guess turn off DHCP on the Archer as well as all the other devices are getting their IP's from the Asus.

If anybody can help and guide me through what other settings need to be changed it'd be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You don't really need to do anything too special on the archer. If it uses the same LAN ip as the asus you need to change it or the asus will complain that the wan and lan are duplicates. I would leave the DHCP on just to make it easier. The only device is going to be the asus port. You need to remember to turn off the wifi on the archer.

I don't know if it is possible but can you set the MR200 to run as a bridge would be one less level of NAT in the chain.

Other than that follow the guide for asus dual wan. You want to run it in fail over. The very tricky thing about failover is what does "down" mean. Asus uses ping but I am unsure how much loss it takes to switch over. I mean 1 ping loss would make it jump all...
You don't really need to do anything too special on the archer. If it uses the same LAN ip as the asus you need to change it or the asus will complain that the wan and lan are duplicates. I would leave the DHCP on just to make it easier. The only device is going to be the asus port. You need to remember to turn off the wifi on the archer.

I don't know if it is possible but can you set the MR200 to run as a bridge would be one less level of NAT in the chain.

Other than that follow the guide for asus dual wan. You want to run it in fail over. The very tricky thing about failover is what does "down" mean. Asus uses ping but I am unsure how much loss it takes to switch over. I mean 1 ping loss would make it jump all over but what % of loss do you consider unacceptable.

The problem with using any form of failover is the internet IP you are using changes. You will get all kinds of broken web pages when that happens. Things that require logon will require you to relog in. Then if google and other things decide you are hacking you will get constant captcha crap.

In some ways you might want to use a manual method to tell the asus to swap rather than the ping stuff.

Solution

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016

Other than that follow the guide for asus dual wan. You want to run it in fail over. The very tricky thing about failover is what does "down" mean. Asus uses ping but I am unsure how much loss it takes to switch over. I mean 1 ping loss would make it jump all over but what % of loss do you consider unacceptable.

The problem with using any form of failover is the internet IP you are using changes. You will get all kinds of broken web pages when that happens. Things that require logon will require you to relog in. Then if google and other things decide you are hacking you will get constant captcha crap.

In some ways you might want to use a manual method to tell the asus to swap rather than the ping stuff.

Cheers for that, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I was using the Archer as my main router until very recently and have given various things fixed IP's .... the list in both of them is the same which I'm sure will casue conflict ..... If I switch off DHCP will it stop assigning any IP's at all or will it still try and give out the fixed ones do you know?
If it still trys to give them out I guess I#ll have to clear out the list.

It doesn't really matter what it gives out as long as it gives a IP to the asus router secondary wan port. It is basically a 2 device network the asus and the tplink router. No other device is connected to that network so nothing else will even request a ip address.

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
It doesn't really matter what it gives out as long as it gives a IP to the asus router secondary wan port. It is basically a 2 device network the asus and the tplink router. No other device is connected to that network so nothing else will even request a ip address.

I finally found some time to test this today and works really well ... both the failover and also fail back if I plug the main adsl line back in.

Was there a reason for switching the wireless on the Archer off ... I left it on and it didn't seem to create any issue but made it easy to log onto the Archer in case I needed to change anything.

Cheers for your help though ... much appreciated! :D