[SOLVED] Configuring NAS - backups from Mac (time machine) and Windows 10 (64bit)

May 22, 2020
Virgin to the NAS setup game - can I get some help with these questions?

First, when I want the NAS to see backup data from different OS-based machines (mac and windows), is partitioning the NAS required?
-Is is required if I am storing system images (containing OS files)?
-Is it not required if I am just storing non-system critical software files, pictures, music, etc?

Second, can you expand on what NAS-based "shares" granted to the different OS-based machines means, if that is the answer to why partitioning isn't necessary? I'm trying to rule in that a true marketed NAS (i.e., Synology) has the capacity to manage each machine's access by folders and size restrictions within them so partitioning isn't necessary.

Third, I am also thinking about this via just a generic consumer level HDD USB drive becoming NAS; with that, would setting it partitions initially, by mounting it to each OS machine be necessary? This is a cheaper route to take in my mind.

Lastly, when a NAS drive is partitioned, would all the partitions automatically mount to each machine? Is there a need to limit that; is there a way to restrict the correct partitions to access the correct machines? Is the alternative having a NAS that shares folder structures instead of partitioning itself?

If later on, I want to create media sharing (music, movies, and pictures) probably through ITunes, Garage band, IMovie, IPhoto, should I be better off when one configuration over the other if both are possible?

This will all help me decide if I should go with a Synology product or just slap in a USB HDD!

Thanks for the chance to learn-

Solution
Yes, any formatting is done through the NAS OS.
The blank drives you buy are....blank. Ready for whatever you need to do with them.

My Windows and android devices talk natively to the Qnap. I have no apple devices to verify, but I can't imagine they would be excluded.

Seagate Ironwolf or WD Red are default choices for NAS box drives.

USAFRet

Titan
A lot of possibilities.

I have a QNAP, quite similar to a Synology.

One thing you have to choose is how this data is backed up.
Push from the desktops and laptops, or pulled from the NAS.

I have all my systems (windows only) push to the NAS every night.
But, the QNAP could be configured to pull, if that is what I wanted it to do.

The QNAP OS can talk natively to a Time Machine account.
BcUbVgE.png

I expect apple has some functionality to push a backup to some other device, such as a NAS.

May 22, 2020
Hey, thanks guys.

I've been reading a little more carefully, between the lines, and it seems to be I am looking for a NAS that has AFP and SMB, etc. compatibility, right?
My question is, when the instrument is diskless, and I purchase the disks, is their a certain formatting to choose to enable both windows/mac OS I will do? Will I do this through the NAS software?

I am just going to look up some videos on youtube of how people set these things up. I am looking at wirecutter's recommendations: synology DS218+ or QNAP TS-251B.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, any formatting is done through the NAS OS.
The blank drives you buy are....blank. Ready for whatever you need to do with them.

My Windows and android devices talk natively to the Qnap. I have no apple devices to verify, but I can't imagine they would be excluded.

Seagate Ironwolf or WD Red are default choices for NAS box drives.

Solution

Latest posts