Configuring QoS in ZXDSL 831II (w/ Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augustus47

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Hello everyone. Before I post I tried to find other topics in this forum, but found nothing specifically for what I was looking for. Well, I use a ZTE router, and I would appreciate if someone could help me configuring the QoS. In my house we have 4 PCs (including mine) and 6 smartphones (including mine too). I know that configuring the QoS won't solve all my problems about latency or download speed, but I think, and I ask to you about it, that configuring it my traffic will get faster.

Here I have a screen shot of my QoS "setup":

1_zpsyjyzsf7u.png

The first section is named RULE

And here I have the options showed in the following tabs:

2_zpsivhcrdje.png

3_zpsowj8okum.png

In the tab IPP/DS Field, when I chose DSCP I can't access IP Precedence Range or Type of Service, but only DSCP Range (I can type the value) and 802.1p (I can choose between 0 to 7 ~ 0 to 7):

4_zpsaytq9x1y.png

But when I choose IPP/TOS I can access IP Precedence Range (I can choose between 0 to 7 ~ 0 to 7) and Type of Service:

5_zps4bzbx29h.png

But in this case I can't access DSCP Range, but I still can choose between 0 to 7 ~ 0 to 7 in 802.1p:

6_zpsipgpiaph.png

After this, we have the smaller section: ACTION

Again the IPP/DS Field, and again, when I choose IPP/TOS I have the same limitations I had on RULE section. In other words, or pictures:

7_zpsu7zdmude.png

8_zpseexu7b7l.png

And here what shows in 802.1p Remarking and in Queue #:

9_zpsvoh76p5v.png

10_zpshfemuech.png

My priority is to focus "low latency" to my computer. If possible, I would also focus "download speed" for me too. So would you help me set up this page:

11_zpskh2hoxme.png

PS.: If you need any other additional information, ask me, then I'll update the post as soon as I can.

Reactions: skypro10
Key in your IP or mac in the proper field and set the queue to highest. leave all the rest of the fields blank. It should then only match on your ip/mac Not sure what the default queue is for everyone else traffic but I would assume it is not highest. Still they do not explain what these terms mean, does highest get 10% more or 50% more or what.

Anything related to DSCP or ToS or Precedence is a complete waste of time to even mess with. Microsoft in their wisdom has prevented you from marking any packets without making registry changes so you can't match that it will always be zero. Trying to set the values with the router is outright silly since the ISP will strip them off. Everyone would mark all their traffic the best so the isp just sets it all to zero.

Still it will have very little effect on anything even if you get it all setup. This only controls upload speed...ie traffic you send out to the internet.
You would have to be exceeding your upload speeds other wise all traffic is send and not is discarded so it makes no different if it is low or high all is sent. Most peoples issues are in donwload speed and this router does not have option.....it wouldn't really matter since the ISP is in control and it will decide what to drop or send and your router can not recreate dropped data and drop other data.

Augustus47

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014

I understand, but first one question: setting this page QoS, only my upload rate will improve. But in a multiplayer game, it will improve the response speed from my specific computer to the server, anyway? And can I set the other PCs in my house to "Low", to make it sure that my one will be the priority for the router?

About the setting, let me ask you only one thing more. Is my IP or MAC the same to the other computers in my house? I mean, is it particular or collective for all the router users? Sorry for my ignorance. :??:

Finally, a screen shot from the QoS Setting Summary I forgot:

qos_zpslfuqp28i.png

Status
Not open for further replies.