Configuring Raid for a Lenovo TS460

TechGuyAlabama

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
I've not worked with Lenovo before. I've created raids before but just not how Lenovo wants me to do it. I have to hit F1 and go in to the bios. Once there, I have to set the sata configuration to RAID. From there, I can't seem to get the 4 drives configured in to a raid.

Here are the screens I have:

tnixiS7.jpg

tnixaS7.jpg

Does anyone know how to configure a Lenovo for RAID10 or have some video or write up on it?

Thanks!

Solution
If you are not getting a prompt then the card is not initializing. It is possible its faulty or there is something in the BIOS that's is not allowing it to initialize before the system tries to go into an OS.

If you look under boot options do you see a RAID card present to set as the first boot?

t53186

Distinguished
For hardware raid the box would need a raid controller. If one is installed either as part of the chipset or an add on card you will see an option rom displayed during post when displayed during post you would press cntl + I (or whatever combination is displayed) that will bring up a "dos" window where you configure the drives and type of raid desired.

For additional specific information you can go to Lenovo support: https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/servers/thinkserver/thinkserver-ts460

Is this a server or consumer desktop?

If it is a server the BIOS wouldn't normally have a option to disable it as it is normally its own SAS card.

I assume its consumer which after you enable RAID mode in the BIOS it should have a screen during the boot process that shows an option to enter the RAID BIOS, as said above it might be ctrl + I (thats normally what Intel uses) but you will see a screen that states this before it POSTs and continues to Widnows.

TechGuyAlabama

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
Thank you for the quick response. Just to clarify, they wouldn't have incorporated it in the bios for whatever reason? I ask this since there seem to be configuration settings in the bios for just that. I'm not sure I understand what those settings are for if not for raid configuration. I agree, every time that I've dealt with raid configuration, you had to access the raid setup at boot up, but, this is Lenovo! :D

I'm going to look at the dang thing again. I could have sworn there was a card in there for it, but I might be wrong. Thanks for the help!

TechGuyAlabama

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
It's definitely a server. It has a raid controller in it, an SAS 9340-8i. I pulled it out to verify. I also have the boot mode set to RAID. I don't see any prompts during boot up to get to the raid configuration utility.

Also, I watched the video and did CTRL+I throughout boot up and didn't get anywhere.

If you are not getting a prompt then the card is not initializing. It is possible its faulty or there is something in the BIOS that's is not allowing it to initialize before the system tries to go into an OS.

If you look under boot options do you see a RAID card present to set as the first boot?

Solution